“OK, but there are better options.”

Bayberry Inn of Newport
Ranked #19 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We have stayed at plenty of B&B's all over New England. Bayberry was a bit different in some ways. My guess is that It is neither owned nor operated by someone who resides there, but simply run by a hired employee onsite. (I think the website calls it a 'boutique hotel') The place was presentable - but the details were lacking. The A/C in the window didnt fit and nearly fell out of the window when I opened it. The light above the jacuzzi was falling out. There were no tissues in the room. A hole in my bath towel. A old can of spray paint for holding open one of the windows. Lifting/waterdamaged drywall above the shower. Breakfast was only marginal though elegantly serviced. Otherwise the place was clean and comfortable. I wouldnt say any serious issues - but collectively? There have got to be 100 B&B's in Newport - I would suggest trying another, you can do better.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timsanders36
There are newer reviews for Bayberry Inn of Newport

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Our stay at the Bayberry Inn was wonderfully relaxing. The inn keepers, Karen and Bill, were the most gracious hosts I think we will ever meet. They keep the inn looking beautiful and breakfast was delicious. Both of them were so kind and accomodating. We enjoyed talking with both of them very much. We will definitely visit Karen and Bill again at the Bayberry.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I loved this B&B!!! I booked this B&B for my husband and I for a night of romance :-) Sadley my husband didn't get in untill 1am lol because he is a Commercial Fisherman but it worked out nicely because I had my girlfriend hangout with me untill he arrived. The innkeeper was very nice and very outgoing :-) She was sympathetic of my husband coming in so late that she allowed us to stay 2 hours longer than the regular check out time. She also made us some yummy french toast and pastries for breakfast. The room was perfect!!! (Honeymoon Suite) and it had a Jacuzzi and fireplace which we really enjoyed. I would have to say I had a very pleasant stay at the Bayberry Inn with no complaints. I will be back again:-)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2009

This was our second trip to Newport.
Bayberry was not the least expensive Inn we looked at, but they did have some really beautiful pictures on the website that caught our
attention and turned out to be a great experience. The innkeeper
was a charming host. Her recommendations for dinner at the Black Pearl worked out perfectly and breakfast the next day was excellent. The afternoon tea and a rich chocolate cake really hit the spot after a full day out. The guestroom we stayed in was newly remodeled and had a jacuzzi right in the corner of the room...fantastic! The location was perfect - walk to everything without the noise of the Thames Street main drag. Fabulous breakfast, cheerful knowledgeable staff, and a beautiful room. Newport is a great get-away and the Bayberry is a real treat!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VIP09
Reviewed May 19, 2009

With numerous attempts in the last 9 months to contact the Bayberry Inn of Newport I have decided to write about our unfortunate experience. My husband and I planned a long, romantic weekend in July 2008 for my birthday. Upon arriving in the evening the first thing we noticed was that the door handle on the front door was loose and falling off possibly being a safety issue for the guests. We booked Vacation Rental A with a fireplace and was bought up to Vacation rental B with no fireplace. When we questioned that we were put in the wrong room we were told our room wasn't available and we were upgraded (Vacation rental B was was less expensive) and it was too hot for a fireplace anyhow. That wasn't up for the innkeeper to decide and we payed for the more expensive Vacation Rental A. With that alone we were owned money. We notice right away that the bathroom wasn't cleaned. There was feces and urine on the toilet and the bathtub had a spilled bottle of shampoo and broken pieces of used soap in it. The inn keeper came up with Tilex (does this disinfect?) and took the guests hand towel off the wall and cleaned the toilet and the sink with it and then threw the filthy towel on the floor. I wouldn't want to be the person using that towel on my face or walking barefoot on that rug. When she left we decided to inspect the room further and this is what we found. The blinds in the bathroom had black and green wet, fuzzy mold all over them, there were no working locks on the windows making it easy to take the fire escape up into our room and making it unsafe for us, the pantry was filthy, the wood floor had dust and hair all over it and the rugs had obviously not been vacuumed since there were Dorito chips broken all over and our deck was flooded with a broken window box spilling dirt all over in to a muddy mess with plastic water bottles, clam shells and plastic chairs lying on their backs in the mud. Since it was late and there were no vacancies and we didn't live close by we decided to stay up the night. I took the blankets and top sheet off the bed and just lied on top of my personal beach towel and my husband sat on the couch on top of his beach towel. Even if we wanted to sleep we couldn't since the extremely loud air conditioning unit kept going on and off all night and the cleaning girls came in the back door at 5:30 am and were making noise in the hallway. We did ask them to quiet down. This included the upstairs backdoor being left open or unlocked causing more concern about our safety. When I turned the lights on I noticed bug bites all over the lower half of my legs were my legs were past my beach towel and resting on the bed sheet. That was it. We decided to leave and come back at 8 am when the inn keeper would be serving breakfast and discuss these problems. My husband went back at 8 am and spoke to the young woman that was cooking ( the inn keeper was no where to be found)and explained that we were very unhappy and left our cell phone number. She reassured us that the inn keeper would be contacting us later. We called a few times and still never heard from her. We even went back the next day and left a message with a phone number again and NEVER heard from her. The only thing that we heard was about 5 months later that the inn keeper told our credit card company that we had no further communications with her and decided to leave early. We made every attempt to rectify this situation but was ignored. It is a shame that our hard earned money was just taken from us. I have tried to contact The Bayberry Inn many times. My last attempt was a registered letter to the owner, not the inn keeper, that was signed for by the inn keeper. I don't know if the letter ever reached the owner. I would think that someone involved in the operations of the Bayberry Inn would care about our unfortunate experience and would like to know what is really going on. We have also attempted to contact the people in charge of the Bed and Breakfasts' in Newport and they have false phone numbers and contact information for the owners. Think twice about going to the Bayberry Inn. It is filthy and no one seems to care.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RoxyNJ
Reviewed April 22, 2009

My husband and I have been to many inns in New England. We stayed 2 nights here and would not go back. You definitely get what you pay for. We have stayed at more expensive inns and you can't compare. The bathroom had an empty box of tissues, the towels were very rough, the wallpaper was peeling off, there was hair in the shower drain. You couldn't get a cup of coffee until 9:00 am when the dining room doors were unlocked. They only give you shampoo, no conditioner. Although the price was reasonable, I would rather have stayed at the Marriott.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zachmatt
Reviewed April 15, 2009

At first when my boyfriend and i arrived i was a bit hesitant but when i stepped inside i felt a bit better, we stayed in the red room beautiful room nice and clean, huge bed, the bathroom was huge and the sunken tub was great. The breakfast was very good, a bit starchy but was fine. The inn keeper was very nice and informative. Overall would stay there again just not in march we got stuck in the big snow storm, the negative comments must be from some really negative people, cause the place was nicer then some high end hotels.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple