“You can't beat the location, service, elegant rooms and food.”

Bayberry Inn of Newport
Ranked #18 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“You can't beat the location, service, elegant rooms and food.”
Reviewed April 3, 2009

Enjoyed this bed and breakfast's friendly service, delicious breakfast, afternoon tea and cake after vigorous Cliff Walk, helpful touristy advice, and elegantly appointed, spacious room

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nyehart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Middlebury, Connecticut
Reviewed March 15, 2009

I agree 100% with the review from February 16th. They can say the people were wrong all they want ,they were not. The person explains that there was a problem with the hot tub, it was. They still had not fixed from a month prior. We put a wash cloth in it to hold the water. When we started the jets the tub was so dirty it had scum bubbles in it. That was the reason we pick that place was the tub. The staff seemed friendly, but also surprised when we inquired about the tub. There were also cob webs all over the place and who still uses vcrs. If not for my wife being there I would have gone off like the prior guest. There was no menu for breakfast or what to do to get it. When you walk into a room full of people you don't know the last thing you want to do is ask questions. I have always been skeptical of Inns like this, and now I know why. I will never go to another unless it has a money back garuntee.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angryvisitor2009
North Kingstown, RI
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Don't waste your time or money - My wife & I stayed in the BayBerry suite which has what looks like an incredible 2 person jacuzzi jet / rain shower. We received the worst welcome from the maid/cook who gave no explanation of the Inn, when or where to eat etc., she just said sign here. We immediatly noticed that the shower did not have any hot water presure. We immediately brought this to the attention of the mngr on duty who was extremely rude and obnoxious. She basically said too bad and that this is how it was suppose to work. We asked for another room but they were fuly booked so we then asked for a refund so we could just leave but they said no. We stayed and made the best of it but highly recommend that anyone thinking of staying here think twice. We have stayed at dozens of B&Bs and Inns across new england and this was by far the worst one.

• Liked — service was terrible!
  • Disliked — service and no hot water in the shower
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenace
BayberryInnofNewport, Owner at Bayberry Inn of Newport, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
The Bayberry Inn respectfully offers an apology for failing to provide the experience anticipated by these particular guests. We make every effort to address guest concerns and the unexpected curves that occasionally transpire in the hospitality business. These particular guests however, failed to include how they overflowed their jacuzzi causing water to stream into our basement laundry. When the Innkeeper attempted to address the problem, she was not provided an opportunity to resolve the issue short of their demand for a full refund and an alternate guestroom.
It is at the courtesy of the Inn that these guests were not assessed charges for damage inflicted on the property. Additionally, it is at the courtesy of the Innkeeper that they were not asked to leave immediately. It is the policy and consistent practice of the Inn to provide comfortable accommodations and friendly service of a simple afternoon tea and homemade breakfast in a historic property... our policies and services do not provide for guests that are unable to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with mutual respect.
New York
Reviewed January 31, 2009

My wife and I had a great stay at the Bayberry Inn in Newport. I was worried when scanning through some of the not-so-good reviews posted online after my wife told me she had made a reservation at a Bed & Breakfast for a weekend trip to Newport. I work in the hotel business and have fairly high expectations. Contrary to so many of the reviews, we found the whole experience to be far better than expected. It may be because the Innkeepers appear to have been updating several of the rooms over the slower winter months with fresh paint and material upgrades as they took time to show us a few other rooms that were not currently occupied. We stayed in a beautiful newly renovated room, the Bayberry Suite. We hardly expected such a layout with the largest array of decorative pillows I think I have ever seen. The huge marble-surround jacuzzi tub in the corner of the room opposite the bed made for some fun as my wife and I took a weekend away from the kids. The big flat-screen TV was a nice touch, but not something we utilized during our visit. The suite had a large private bathroom fully updated with soft gold-toned tile and a walk-in shower for 2 with one of those "rainfall" shower heads. The sitting room had 2 large leather chairs and ottoman with a Tiffany-style reading lamp - perfect for my wife who likes to stay up late reading. She was able to close the french-doors and read well into the night while I was able to sleep! As far as the rest of the experience, the Inn was well located being just a short walk to the main shopping and wharf area. The Innkeeper was warm and welcoming. She made good recommendations on where to go and what to do as this was our first visit to Newport. The breakfast provided was simple but everything was homemade, fresh and served in a huge dining room with an amazing wooden parque floor. There were 3 large tables and we chatted with several other guests who also seemed to be sharing our good experience. One couple told us how they had become engaged while visiting the Inn years ago and now visited every year, it was their 5th visit! I'm glad we gave it a try.... we had a great time at the Bayberry Inn and will recommend it for anyone considering a trip to Newport!

• Liked — Guestroom, Innkeeper and Location of the Inn
  • Disliked — Our room lacked a fireplace which would have been nice to have in January!
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hotlie88
Swansea, MA
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I found this place to be really wonderful.. I was nervous because of some of the reviews I had read, but I found nothing wrong at all. The innkeeper was very friendly. Our room was GORGEOUS & very clean and exactly as it was described online.. We did not eat the breakfast the first morning because we over slept, but we did eat it the next day and it was pretty good! We had blueberry waffles, with juice/coffee/milk, muffins, and bread. It was really good! I would recommend this to any one who'd like to stay in Newport. The location was perfect also; seconds from Thames St and Bellevue Ave.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The internet was not working because they were switching phone companies
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lyssielyss
New York
Reviewed December 13, 2008

The Bayberry Inn is to be avoided at all costs. Please read the reviews on this website, and do not ignore them. One thing that may go towards explaining the lack of attention and care to this property is that the innkeepers are merely employees of the inn. The inn is actually owned by a corporate entity. I was never able to find out exactly what or who owns it, but the innkeepers are just the caretakers, not vested owners....and it shows. We were completely ripped off, and told that there was an extra fee for using a gift certificate.
In addition, the innkeepers know nothing about the local area. When asked for recommendations on places to eat, we were shown a canned list of tourist traps. Karen had never heard of the place where we had reservations, and suggested we go elsewhere. By that point, we'd learned that she had no clue, so we went anyway. The restaurant (blanking on the name) was around the corner, filled with locals, and was fantastic. How could she never have heard of this place???!!!
Breakfast was odd, at best. A young lady who really never said a word came over at breakfast and plopped down a cold lump of what I can only explain as french toast casserole. I tasted like blended, cold, french toast, drowned in syrup. Do I have your attention yet?
There is an inn on every block in Newport. PLEASE, do not stay here!!! If you are like we were, we'd spent several weeks looking forward to this trip. The best part of the trip was leaving.

• Liked — Getting the chance to write this review.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ees24
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Our stay at The Bayberry Inn was disappointing. We too were subjected to the dirty butts at the doorway and a long, tedious wait in the sitting room even though we had prepaid for our room. Eventually, we found out that it was a room key issue which was resolved in due course. We arrived sometime after 3pm and thought we would have time to see one of the famous Newport Mansions. The Innkeeper, although trying to be helpful talked a blue streak, even advising us of events coming up in the future of which we had no interest in. We felt pressured to make the last tour of the day at the Breakers because of all the idle chit-chat we endured at the inn...sensing when your quests have other things to do would have been useful for us. Our room was adequate although not as clean as I would have expected for over $300/night particularly in the bathroom...bath products cheap & boring. Everything seemed like it needed a little tweeking..just sub-standard. The bed was big and comfortable though. Breakfast was strange with the room locked until 9am and breakfast served for only 1 hour (we were never advised of the serving time). Coffee was the worst I ever tasted and then came the Belgium waffles (it was just assumed you wanted them) they were alright but it was awkward having the innkeeper standing there watching you eat your breakfast., I also had an safety-privacy issue with the staircase/landing right outside the bathroom window. We won't be back to the Bayberry.

2 Thank turnipqueen