“Very relaxing and welcoming”

Bayberry Inn of Newport
Ranked #18 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Nashville, TN
“Very relaxing and welcoming”
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Our stay was wonderful, check in was a breeze, the room not only comfortable but roomy and may I add the whole place was very clean. Every effort was made and met to make our stay enjoyable and relaxing. We stayed in the blue room. More than enough towels with out having to request more. When we arrived in the evening the girl was so sweet and helpful, she printed our boarding passes and had them in our room by the time we got back from dinner. The location is great your close to everthing. The breakfast was out of this world. Karen and husband (sorry I forgot your name) were great. I had to pull my husband away so we could get our rental car turned in on time. We'd go back anytime, no problem.

• Liked — Evrything was clean, staff very helpful
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RDSNashville_TN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed October 28, 2008

My wife & I decided on Newport for a few days after our wedding. She did some research and the Bayberry Inn looked nice. On arrival, it looked very nice with great curb appeal. The black ashtrays on the front porch had about 2 big cigars in each one, extinguished. Later that night when we left, they were still there, which led me to believe that cleanliness isn't next to godliness here!

When we knocked on the door for our check in, the man who answered the door didn't even say "Hi, welcome" or anything, he just looked at us until a girl came and sat us in the den. She gave us our keys and we headed up to the room.

To keep it short, the AC was broken, the ceiling fan was not producing any cooling winds because it spun too slow. We didn't ever find the remote to the gas fireplace and couldn't turn it on manually. The Jacuzzi wasn't built for 2 people, it was for one only, and if you squeezed 2 people into the tub, one would have had a tub spout in their neck. The toilet was rocking, the hot faucet on the sink was loose and the tile in the bathroom was like some "job-lot" discount purchase- not at all what I'd call quaint. Our handtowels had yellowed from past cleanups (i guess), and the bar soap was very cheap in paper packaging- not what I think a good B&B uses.

Breakfast was french toast, which was not made too well. I think the 200+ dollars we spent for each night was outrageous. My wife & I agreed that if we paid $100 we would have felt like we got our value from this place. The are missing vital ingredients in a B&B...Not recommended at all.

• Liked — Looks nice from the outside
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sezeboston
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Traveler beware, I recently had an error in booking a weekend at the Inn, tried to rectify the situation as best I could with no success. They seem to be rip off artists of some sorts. I was charged weekend rates but my confirmation came back for weekday and unitl I checked it before we left for our anniversary weekend, I relaized that they confirmed the wrong dates. Now I should have seen this sooner, but when I brought it their attention they merely sent me their terms and conditions and walked away with my money. The listed weekday rates for only two weeks after the erroneous confirmation were more than 100.00 less per night than what they claim my reservation was at. They claim theur rates fluxuate like airlines. Even airlines do not changed that quickly and to that degree. They ripped me off and will not admit it. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of the Bayberry Inn in Newport

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dupttt31
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Upon arriving at this property my husband and I were exicited to see if they had lived up to what their website stated. when we disembarked our vehicle we were greeted with leaves the yard looked like it hadnt been swept in weeks. as we made our way on to front porch which clearly needs painting we were disgusted to be greeted with an ashtray full of cigarette butts. we were greeted by the inn keeper who must say looked dishelved and not at all professionally dressed this was a big turn off, though she was slightly pleasant. we were told to sit in the living room when upon close inspection was so dirty, and it seems as if there was some construction going on, in the height of the summer season. we stayed in the honeymoon room, when we entered and took a walk around we saw hairs all over and this made me and my husband feel so uncomfortable, the glass on the sink had obviously not been changed, the shower was still wet, from the last person who took a bath so obviously it had not been cleaned. we complained to the innkeeper wo offered to clear the place but the damage had been done we did want to stay there, it was obvious that the rooms are not properly inspected before guests arrived. and the sucky thing is we have been trying to get back out money to no avail.

• Liked — the afternoon tea
  • Disliked — the overall upkeep of the place was bad
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FRoyalty
Long Island, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We find ourselves to be reasonable people without unrealistic expectations when our hard earned money is spent. If you must stay here, do not overpay like we did. Newport has a B&B on every block, this one should be passed over.

Just some brief items which turned us off to the Bayberry B&B:

The dilapidated parking lot complete with conspicuous red dumpster.

One is welcomed by black ash trays (full of cigarette butts) upon tables as you approach the front door.

Although the structure and design of the house are beautiful, it is quite obvious little effort has been put into maintaining its old world charm and luster.

Inner décor resembled a garage sale, particularly the foyer and common room , and is in dire need of better interior design.

The bathroom, although clean enough, was not newly refinished and in need of repair (e.g. Blue Room’s hot water faucet).

Dirty napkin from prior guests was found under the bed.

Tea time did not include coasters or place to put the used tea bags and was quite awkward in front of other guests.

Attention was not paid to refilling an adequate supply of hot water for all guests.

In summary, for the amount of money paid, Bayberry fell very short and we left feeling as if only an amateur effort was put forth.

• Liked — Location and fast walk to downtown Newport, RI
  • Disliked — Amateur. Quality not proportionate to price.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TDDB
Stockholm
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Loved staying at The Bayberry Inn!
After driving along the New England coast, staying at numerous Inns, The Bayberry Inn proved to be the best. By far! Beautiful and spacious rooms and in a charming area, just a 5 min walk from "downtown" Newport. Karen and her husband gave us the warmest welcome and were always making sure we felt right at home! Will definitely come back!

• Liked — The friendly and warm atmosphere!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank CaroRick
USA
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Upon Arriving the doorknob on the front door be almost broken off should have been the first sign that we were in trouble.. The bathroom/toilet had to be cleaned it was disgusting with dried urine very visable as it seemed it never cleaned also including 2 small used pieces of soap in the shower from the prior people that were in the room and a face/bath towel was used to clean the toilet after we asked for it to be cleaned. ( hope you are not the next person using it ) The digusting dirty/molded blinds in the shower made me want to puke....There were dust all over the place, candy wrappings, crumbs, full size corm chips and other under the chair/coach cushions or on the floor I cant even imagine what was hiding in these rugs. IF you are at least alittle into safety some windows leading to the fire escape or flat roofs did not lock potentially inviting any shady person to just crawl in.... I stayed up all night while my wife tried to sleep and we bailed out the next day, after I left my request to call me to discuss the situation was ignored...... STAY AWAY theres a hotel called the vlking right down the street ( THANK GOD ) in same price ranges TOP NOTCH ...Good luck I do have some photos just in case anyone thinks I am crazy Or If I am contacted with an apology....

• Liked — Nothing besides its physical location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple