“Almost ruined our 1st year wedding anniversary”

Bayberry Inn of Newport
Ranked #19 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2008

For our first anniversary, my husband and I booked a room based on multiple websites giving it a pretty good review and their beautiful website. On arrival, we both looked at one another and go the "ut oh" feeling as the outside of the Inn was in great need of a good power washing and paint job. As we entered the locked front door we were immediately handed a piece of paper to sign confirming our reservation (ut oh feeling #2). We were shown upstairs to the hot (heat wise) honeymoon suite where we put on the smelly air conditioner but as we explored the room, we were much dissappointed. There were pubic and other hairs on the floor, stained water glasses, a totally fogged/dirty ice bucket, dusty linens and to top it off....several disgusting yellow large round stains on the (beautiful and seemingly expensive) white bed comforter. As we spoke with the innkeeper and shared our dissapointment, she stated that she could get us another room so we kept an open mind. As her and another worker went to "clean" this other room (which had supposedly been awaiting another couple (so shouldn't it have already been cleaned???) my husband and I ventured downstairs (still trying to keep an open mind) to see where we'd be eating breakfast the next day. Again, it was clear at the lack of cleanliness that was aspired to by the dusty linens, water soaked glasswear and lack of any screens on the windows so flys were all over. As I proceeded upstairs to see the second offered room, the innkeeper tried to convince me that this one was cleaner (just as I was pointing out the ant crawling up the tub and spider down the wall which she quickly smashed with the towel in her hand she was using to clean the room). In addition, when I noted that we were disgusted by the general cleanliness of the Inn and especially the rugs downstairs and all the way throughout the Inn being in desperate need of a vacuuming, she stated that it was because they "were doing construction" . When I stated that it would have been a good thing to put on their website, she noted that "it hasn't been a problem" because they are "only doing it between the hours of 11am and 3pm" (so anyone who likes naps or a late am in bed...I wouldn't suggest this place either). At that point we were just annoyed and after waiting for the innkeeper awhile) to speak with her boss and getting more annoyed , we made a decision that since we both had the "heebee jeebee's we would not be able to stay let alone feel romantic. We ended up a the Hampton Inn which was sparkling clean, a great breakfast, only a $8-$12 cab ride to town and restaurants and was highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jppjr503
There are newer reviews for Bayberry Inn of Newport

Reviewed May 5, 2008

The place was a bit run down. The breakfast provided was just okay. Bedroom was lack of furniture or place to hang your clothes. No wardrobe/closet. It was located near the heart of the town but for the price, not worthed. The service was only an average. Don't think will come back again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank bones321
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We decided to get married in March in Newport and more or less elope. We just wanted the experience to be us so I found The Bayberry Inn online and called up to see if they could accomodate our request. Karen, the innkeeper was more than helpful and got excited at the thought of having a wedding on her property. I took the leap of faith without having ever been there myelf and we were not disappointed. The Honeymoon Room was lovely, the parlor area where our ceremony was performed was absolutely perfect for what we were looking for.
Karen and her husband Bill were the perfect hosts and went above and beyond to see that our wedding day was the most special day of our lives which it was. They acted as our witnesses and we couldn't have been more comfortable & at home considering that we were strangers to them. By the end of the weekend Karen & Bill were our friends!

I recommend the Bayberry Inn for a romantic and cozy weekend. March was a lovely time to be in Newport and at this inn. We never felt the chill in the air!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MariaP08
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Spent 4 days 3 nights in Newport, RI. We are return visitors, and have stayed in other inns in town. We found the Bayberry to be notably nicer than most. Accommodations were comfortable and clean. The Innkeeper and her husband were MOST accommodating. Always willing to help in whatever way they could to make your stay memorable. They made themselves readily available without making you feel smothered, and were also knowlegeable of the area. The breakfasts were quite enjoyable with plenty of variety. I suppose the best accolade to give would be to note that we would return without hesitation to the Bayberry.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DrMTF
Reviewed February 10, 2008

My husband and I had a great get away weekend. The room was large and roomy, yet cozy and warm with the gas fireplace. The room was clean, the bathroom could have used a bit more attention in the nooks and crannys. There were small hairs and dust behind the toilet and on the floor in front of the shower, however, the shower, toilet, sink, etc. were very clean. I am very particular when it comes to the cleanliness of rooms. The room wasn't "perfect", but what is?? The refrigerator in the room could use an update and the bed could probably use a new mattress as it sounded like it was going to collapse when my husband would come to bed (and he's an average size guy). But the decor was pleasing and we enjoyed spending time in the room. The breakfasts were very heavy, they were good and tasty. The Innkeeper was pleasant. You must disregard the last review where all the guy did was complain complain complain but never got to the point of what made him so mad! He must have been the biggest pain in the a.. to deal with, I feel bad for the Innkeeper having to deal with somebody whose probably never happy no matter where he goes.
I would recommend this place for a nice quiet romantic getaway. Alot of B&B's I've been to have felt stuffy and full of "junk" decor like an old granny's house - but this is not like that. Very tasteful decor and not stuffy.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TbelleBoston
Reviewed January 20, 2008

It was my fiance's birthday and I wanted to do something really special, and this was perfect! We stayed in the Blue Room which was beautiful and spotless! As soon as we opened the door you could smell the cleanliness of the room. Karen the Inn Keeper was a doll, and she's a great cook! We hadthe most delicious breakfast. She was so personable and went out of her way to make the weekend special, from having flowers for him before arrival, to making reservations at a local restuarant. The Inn itself is so charming and located in the perfect spot, close to many of the attractions. Tons of private parking which is a big plus. I posted some pictures that I took so you can see that the website pictures are exactly what you will get, the room was gorgeous! All in all our visit there was everything I could have hoped for, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Thanks Karen for making our weekend so memorable.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kimmiede
Reviewed January 16, 2008

Beautiful place. Can't beat the prices in winter for a gorgeous room with jacuzzi and fireplace! Breakfast could use some improvement, but all in all, a great place to stay. Newport is incredible!

Stayed: January 2007