Bayberry Inn of Newport
The Attwater(Newport)
Newport Marriott(Newport)
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewshunter suitejacuzzi tubb bmy husband and ifront porchgas fireplacebreakfast was delicioushuge bathroomcookiesgetaway weekendfirst floora lovely staysitting roombeautiful roomour honeymoonbed was very comfortablebellevue ave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2007

My husband and I visit Newport few times a year, but we usually end up driving back home same day. This time we decided to stay and we were happy we came across Bayberry Inn just driving by. From the moment we entered the Inn we felt "at home". The innkeeper was nice and friendly and found great room for us. We stayed in Captain Hunter suite - artfully decorated, top notch! Btw, Inn is in great location - we were able to walk for dinner at White Horse Tavern - best food in town! When we came back, fireplace was very apropos and jacuzzi was nice and relaxing. We woke up next morning to the smell of banana bread, breakfast was very nice with all food fresh made and very tasty. All in all, the place is charming, very well appointed. We had a great stay and definitely will come back. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Zhakonya
Reviewed November 4, 2007

We spend a great weekend at the Bayberry Inn of Newport. We stayed in a beautifully appointed Red room. Whole Inn is tastefully decorated and well maintained, and has really relaxing atmosphere. It is also in a great location, walking distance to many attractions, and it has plenty of off-street parking (!) - very handy (if you ever looked for the parking in Newport...). Breakfast was simply outstanding, with fresh made bread, muffins and increadible french toast. Innkeepers were very nice and helpful, and suggested very good place for dinner. We would highly recommend to anyone visiting Newport to stay at the Bayberry Inn and we will definitely come back there again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TravelerFromStamford
Reviewed October 22, 2007

This inn is dark, shabby and hugely overpriced. Strongly suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Westport_CtWestport
Reviewed July 15, 2007

The Bayberry Inn has very lovely rooms. Certainly the forte of the innkeeper is in decorating. We stayed in the red room, and enjoyed the French provincial style and the sunken jacuzzi tub with cathedral windows. The common areas were also quite beautiful, as you can see on their website.

That being said, we have stayed at many B&Bs, and in comparison, the Bayberry is lacking in many other areas.

1) Hospitality was poor. The innkeeper was not helpful or particularly welcoming. She mostly kept to herself, including during breakfast (other than placing pancakes in front of us, she was on her computer while we served ourself coffee and what seemed to be store-bought mini muffins). She never asked if we would like help with dinner reservations, making plans during our stay, etc. I think every other innkeeper I have come across at least offers to help in these areas.

2) The food really is bad. When I stay at a B&B, I expect the breakfast to be special, or at least hearty. Omelettes, breakfast meats, or even made to order eggs would be a nice addition. As others have noted, waffles, pancakes, and other bready items are the only options. We were served thin, silver-dollar sized pancakes (no fruit) and yogurt. They were fine, but something I make at home, and certainly not special. The breakfast hour is 9-10, which was quite late for us. My husband left to get us coffee earlier, because she did not even have serve yourself coffee set out anywhere. In fact, the dining room was locked until 9. We noticed other guests skipping the breakfast (or, perhaps, wisely going elsewhere for breakfast).

3) Cleanliness and upkeep needs improvement. The outside of the inn is starting to show its age - paint chipping, windows with paint smears, etc. The room was mostly clean (although did find a dirty Q-tip in the bathroom). There is a sign indicating a "silent butler" in the hall with toiletries in case you have forgotten any. We were glad to learn this because we had forgotten toothpaste, unfortunately, there was only a small bar of soap in the silent butler. The air conditioner in our room managed to get the room from 85 degrees to 83 degrees while on all night. I don't mind the heat, so I didn't complain, but others might find it unpleasant.

4) No gardens. The porch swing is nice, however there is no garden area to sit in or walk through, which my husband particularly enjoys at inns.

Overall, for $300 (weekday in July), I do not think it was worth it. There are many, many inns in Newport, and while some were more costly, I have to believe that you could do better than the Bayberry.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank km_north
Reviewed June 25, 2007

The Bayberry Inn is well located on a very nice street. We stayed in a 2 room suite with a large bathroom. It was clean and offered enough storage space, plus there was air-conditioning, an overhead fan, a small refrigerator and plenty of comfortable seating in addition to 2 TVs. Despite this, I would rate this establishment as just average.

The innkeeper never introduced herself and greeted us in sloppy jeans and work shirt. Although we arrived after the 3PM check-in, the hallways were cluttered with dirty linens and cleaning supplies. She was not unfriendly, but did not give us any indication she would be willing to help us if we had any questions. I think she felt leaving brochures out on a table was enough help.

Breakfast was served in the dining room from 9 to 10 AM. We had to go into town to have coffee as we are early risers. We were not given any indication what breakfast would be and certainly not given any choices other than the sweet entree or sweet buns, sweet coffee cake or sweet cereal. I e-mailed the innkeeper prior to our visit to request soy milk. She said she would get it, but I would be charged on my room bill for it. I have been to a lot of inns and b&bs and have never been charged for a special request before. Innkeepers usually bend over backward to accomodate their guests.

Newport offers many wonderful overnight accomodations where service and friendliness are key, the Cliffside Inn, for example. I'm sorry I stayed here when better options were available to me.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple