“What a Great Surprise”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bellevue Avenue
Description: Gourmet cuisine in a elegant, yet unpretentious atmosphere. Excellent location, plenty of parking. Outdoor patio offers lunch and dinner nightly. Saturday night features live entertainment. Enjoy the Gilded age of Newport at the Canfield House.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I went for dinner on Valentines Day and couldn't have been happier. This isn't near the water but you usually can't see the water at the restaurants that boast waterfront dining. The best part was, the food was fabulous, the menu was varied and interesting, the service was attentive and the prices were reasonable compared to the more recognized restaurants in Newport. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a Victorian atmosphere with high quality food, this is the place to go! The food was delicious, the service was great, and our server was so friendly that it made the dining experience even more pleasant. The dining room was a unique, comfortable, old Victorian style and the outdoor porch bar had a more updated chic atmosphere. The fabulous martinis were a plus! I plan to go back next time I'm in Newport.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was our Holiday dinner with the sales reps of our company. We go to Newport each year for 3 days to thank the people in our company for all that they do.
4 years ago we decided to try a different restaurant for the Friday night dinner. I won't say who we left. The Canfield House was where we decided to go after testing the waters with a lunch there. The lunch a great and so we asked the owner, Maggie, if she would be interested in hosting one of our dinners. She said yes with open arms. We have a group of about 25 people.
She was able to offer a open menu without restrictions. She didn't ask for a deposit, just a hand shake. The best way to do business.
Ok, now let's talk great food and wonderful service. You really ask for anything else. Everything is always fantastic. Maggie is always present to ensure her guests satisfaction. After 4 years in a row, all I can say is we will be back. She sets up a huge Christmas tree in the center of the room with all the decorations one could ask for.
Merry Christmas to all and thanks Maggie for another great holiday dinner.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We chose this restaurant because the Concierge at our hotel highly recommended this. I must say the ambiance and decorations over the christmas holidays is spectacular. When I entered there was at least a 18ft tree in the center of the dining room, which after reading the menu we found out this used to be a gambling house back in the 1900's for the very rich. I was very impressed with the menu and from the wine, appetizer, main entree to dessert it was top notch. I have to give Kudos to the chef for giving me the "secret" recipe for the chutney that was served with the bread and butter, to my surprise it was eggplant. I immediately rushed home and made it...Many Thanks and I will be returning with a little something for the chef (homemade peppermint patties) I would like his opinion. Next time you are in Newport, RI IT IS A MUST THAT YOU TRY THIS RESTAURANT!!!!

1  Thank Beth C
Reviewed November 14, 2013

According to the literature, the Canfield House was a casino in the late 1800s/early 1900s, and it shows. Stepping into the restaurant is like taking a trip back in time - I felt like I was entering a supper club out of Boardwalk Empire. Very charming!!! There is plenty of space between the tables, so even though every table was filled, we didn't feel like we had people on top of us.

Our server was extremely busy, but she handled it wonderfully and was friendly and efficient. I can't remark on the wine list, as we weren't offered one, I simply asked for a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and she said they had Oyster Bay, so that's what I got. I ordered the pan seared sea scallops for my meal. They were very good, nothing over the top special. They came with lentils that were cooked with bacon and thyme - very different. My husband got the rib eye steak - very good, but again, nothing that screamed excellent. For dessert, we split a decadent chocolate concoction - not sure what it was, as there was no dessert menu, they just bring over that tempting tray with all of the desserts on it.

All in all, a very good meal. I wouldn't say it was one of my top meals, though. Very good service, excellent ambience.