“Wonderful environment and good food”
Review of Canfield House Restaurant - CLOSED

Canfield House Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bellevue Avenue
Description: Gourmet cuisine in a elegant, yet unpretentious atmosphere. Excellent location, plenty of parking. Outdoor patio offers lunch and dinner nightly. Saturday night features live entertainment. Enjoy the Gilded age of Newport at the Canfield House.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had the seafood stew and it was one of the best seafood dishes I have had in Newport. The dish was full of scallops, large shrimp, mussells and fresh fish.

There are newer reviews for Canfield House Restaurant

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Well, you start by having a pleasant demeanor. As I walked in I was greeted with smiles and some genuine inquisition. I was graced by the presence of the owner (Maggie) who was far from rudimentary in her interaction with me. I guess judging from my Bahamian accent she sought to ask of my origin which I found (as a stranger to Newport) to be delightful. In any event she was a consummate professional.
The ambiance was one of royalty. The dining room was like the wardroom of a British Naval Officers mess with wood details on the walls and the ceilings, just classy. The menu was almost overwhelming with choice and the timing perfect. After being seated I was met by a server who detailed the specials for the night. This was probably the most frustrating part of my evening. I had already looked at the menu and everything seemed so good, to hear the specials made it even more difficult for me to decide :-) I ended up ordering the Pei Mussels & Local Littleneck Clams with the Special entree - the Grilled Rib-eye (medium of course), roasted red potatoes with cauliflower au gratin.
I have to say the total dish was superb. The steak was cooked perfectly, the potatoes must have been locally grown, for they were fresh and full of texture. The cauliflower was simply delicious.
To compliment my dish I had a glass of Syrah - Bin 555 by Wyndham Estate (perfect) I so wanted to have desert but the combination of those mussels, little necks and steak was more than enough to fill my appetite.
I ate alone but recommend this as a very nice couples dining spot. Service, food and ambiance are incomparable and I will be back again.

2  Thank Carlon B
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We happened to be in Newport during the Fall 2012 Restaurant Week and Canfield House was participating. Made dinner reservations. We were seated in the spectacular dining room which features the most beautiful wooded vaulted ceiling I've ever seen. Atmosphere was warm and friendly. Stories of history of the property on the menus. The range of menu selections was awesome. In addition to the prix fixe Rest Wk menu, there was a local diners' special plus a multi-page menu of choices. We decided to do the 3 course prix fixe. Ordered a cocktail with dinner (full bar). Everything was delicious. The service was attentive and yet not stodgy or pretentious (THANK YOU). Overall we felt lucky we had selected this from among the range of choices we were given. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Maine_Light_Sleeper
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great sized room--not too big, not too small--for a family dinner or lunch with a friend. Not overly expensive good food.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Scallop special featured a great risotto but the scallops tasted "off" - yuck. Baked haddock was very. Good and tasty. The dessert tray appeared to be right out of a box. I'm sure they try hard but there are some missing links. The place was beautiful though with the decorations in place.

1  Thank nycnyc12