“Delicious Food”
Review of Stoneacre Pantry

Stoneacre Pantry
Reserve with OpenTable
Stoneacre Pantry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Greetings From Stoneacre Pantry, It is with great excitement that we share news of Stoneacre Pantry closing its doors at 515 Thames St on January 1, 2017 and reopening in the summer of 2017, in Historic Washington Sq. We would like to thank all of our supporters and friends for the past 3 years of patronage and would like to offer a big Happy New Year to all of you. Please stay tuned for further details about Stoneacre and all other happenings. Thank You Again, we look forward to a big new year! In other news we will be opening La Vasca, at 515 Thames St in Newport, mid January. La Vasca is Basque style wine bar (beer and wine) offering Pintxos, Tapas, hot and cold appetizers and a selection of entrees including Paella, whole roasted fish and beef. We will follow the same sourcing and sustainability practices we have focused on at Stoneacre. As always we will be accommodating to guest restrictions, allergies and dislikes to the best of our ability. La Vasca will take limited reservations.
Paoli, Pennsylvania
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We dined at Stoneacre Pantry based on a recommendation from the proprietor of a local Inn. I was a little worried because the restaurant had not been open very long and because "Farm to Table" is one of those trendy culinary terms that is often over- or inaccurately used.

No worries, this is a true Farm to Table experience based on good local and seasonal ingredients.The menu is quite vegetable focused. I would have loved to see some beef and pork on the menu, but perhaps those could not be locally sourced.

The appetizers were yummy. My husband enjoyed the silky cauliflower soup, I loved the luscious chicken liver pate, scooping every last bit out of the jar with the good bread, and our son devoured the duck rillette.

Entrees were equally as good. My scallops were perfectly seared and the porcini(?) garnish was absolutely addictive. My son's veal was our least favorite dish (maybe they aren't so into the meat?) and my husband liked the smoked duck breast very much.The roasted potato side was very, very, yummy. If you've only ever eaten supermarket potatoes, you will be amazed at the flavor of these little gems.

Desserts were fine. I don't think they were at quite the same standard as the rest of the meal, but they were tasty. The yogurt panna cotta was the best of the three.

The rustic decor is maybe taken a little too far. Sitting on a barrel for an entire dinner is a bit tiresome. I don't need to drink water out of a jelly jar to get the connection to the farm. I'm mostly interested in the connection via the food, and that is very well expressed through the cooking. I would have preferred that the waitress just left our bottle of wine on the table rather than taking it away between pours. But these are minor hiccups.

It always comes back to the quality of the food, and the food at Stoneacre pantry is excellent.

Lovell, Maine
“What a treat”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Our first night in our new home and we find this gem two blocks away. From the cheese plate to the scallops to the mousse everything was perfectly prepared and delicious. An added bonus was a comprehensive wine and whiskey menu. Put this on your list as "I have to try this" and then make it your regular place.

Newport, Rhode Island
“A gem on lower Thames”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Other reviewers have pretty much said it all. What minor complaints I might offer will, I'm certain, be addressed as the restaurant matures.
We have dined twice and were extremely pleased with the inventiveness and quality of the food. Stoneacre is a bit of a different dining experience than most Newport restaurants. It is, at once, more urbane and casual and the menu is frequently changing to adapt to market availability.

This lovely spot is not plush or fancy. The decor is plain and the some of the seats are a bit uncomfortable but the discerning diner, those who have traveled and appreciate owner involvement, will be exceptionally pleased. Once the food started arriving I forgot about the seat.

Oh, and by the way, there is, blessedly, no television. Last night I was alone and stopped in for a cocktail but decided to try the duck pâté. Not only was it truly delicious but I was able to have a conversation with my server while being entertained by the preparation in the kitchen.

1 Thank John S
“Yummy”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great music, terrific food and make sure to order the potatoes with Creme Fresh as well as the Kale Salad that was more tender than one thought possible with Kale.

Visited October 2013
Medford, MA
“Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Did I say the experience was perfect? The food was phenomenal. The service was exceptional. And the atmosphere was charming. Most of all, everyone was accommodating, friendly and informative.

We were headibg out to celebrate two birthdays, but we got stuck in traffic coming from Boston, which threw our entire day off, then we had trouble paying for parking at the municipal lot -- technology is NOT the answer. Our table was still waiting, and we were greeted with a smile despite being over 20 minutes late and having to move the car!

We ordered a bottle of one of their least expensive red wines. Forgot what it was, but it was great. We had appetizers, entrees and desserts, and the chef even provdided in-between "treats" -- raw vegetables with a saffron aioli hummus, duck consommé, and even macaroons after dessert!

We each tried a different appetizer -- the cauliflower soup, roasted beet salad with goat cheese mouse, and fluke with potatoes and arugula. All were terrific.

We decided to each try a different entree too. The striped bass was mild yet flavorful, and the veal dish was absolutely amazing. I ordered the duck breast and was sure glad I did. It was cooked perfectly and presented beautifully on a bed of farro. I honestly think it was the BEST duck I have ever eaten!

We ordered two desserts. The hazelnut chocolate mousse, which came with a salty caramel base, was delicious. The coffee cake, served with cinnamon ice cream was also really good.

Overall, this was one of the best dining experiences I've had in a long time. Nice touches, gracious service and interesting food we're delivered throughout the entire meal. TRY THIS PLACE! I know I cannot wait to go back.