“Hit the early bird deals”

Benjamin's Restaurant and Raw Bar
Ranked #14 of 245 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2013

If you go between 4 and 7, they have prime time dishes at a reasonable $13.99. This included a pound and quarter lobster and prime rib. However all of their menu items are great. Try the haddock wrapped around a lobster dressing, and the seafood linguini. All very fresh. The owner Chef Ron is very personable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Upstairs at Benjamin's for a bite to eat. Hostess was very pleasant and we were seated immediately. Ordered the Fish N' Chips, coated in a tempura batter. Was able to easily separate the cod from the batter covering and squeeze some lemon on it. Melted in my mouth like butter! The taste was awesome! Could have shared the plate though because it was huge. Cole slaw was good as well, although I just had a couple of bites. Enjoyed the fish.
Our server, Andee, was excellent ! Good at making suggestions as to her favorites.
This is a quaint restaurant with lots of character and characters! There were a couple of birthdays and everyone pitched in to sing. Fun!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had a nice octoberfest lunch here. German sausage with krout and noodles. We split a grand marine cheesecake for desert. Yum!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My friend took me to Benjamin's last night for dinner. We parked in front using metered parking. (You have to pay until 9 pm). Once inside I recognized it as the place my husband and I went to years ago for inexpensive lobster dinners when he was stationed in Newport. Among the early bird specials (until 7 pm) was a boiled lobster with drawn butter for $17.95 and it included a side (we chose grilled asparagus). My friend ordered a simply prepared sole dish and she said it was delicious. We also ordered a plate of 6 oysters from the raw bar for $12 and a glass of wine from the decent and reasonably priced wine selection. (My friend had a New Zealand Ken Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and I had a Chateau St. Michelle). I was very happy to see a seafood menu with boiled and grilled items as well as the clam shack variety of fried seafood/lobster rolls). Afterwards we went off in search of a glass of port and the server recommended a place across the street. I have to say, Benjamin's was just what we were looking for. Not stuffy or snobby. Good people watching windows. My friend says that in summer when Newport is crazy busy, her family often orders plates to go and that Benjamin's does a great job getting the orders right and out in a timely fashion? This place is a winder in my book,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stopped here for lunch recently with 5 out of town guests/friends. We were initially enticed by the $1 oysters and .50 clams, and since they also were offering a brunch menu, we figured it would be perfect. The clams and oysters were good. Service was only so-so......waitress was not that attentive and seemed bothered with requests for water. But 3 of us ordered eggs benedict; one regular and 2 with lobster. All of our eggs were fried, instead of poached like eggs benny should be, and on top of that - all the yolks were completely well done...not a runny one among them. The regular eggs benny was served with ham, instead of canadian bacon too. The lobster was good, and thankfully not over cooked, and since we were all starving and it took some time for our order to come out, we ate it anyways and didn't send it back. But for $14 Lobster eggs benny...it was pretty ridiculous to be served fried, over-cooked eggs.

1  Thank 534CarolG