“A Must”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2013

If you go before 6 PM the Lobster Special is on. I had one of the best renditions of seafood fri diablo anywhere! Gets busy so go a little early.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,274)

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We dine at Benjamin's whenever we can, and that is when we take a Canada New England cruise.

There are many restaurants along the piers that wend their way to the actual city, they all offer nice menus and so forth, they may be good to dine at, albeit they are really touristy.

Walk across front street to the main street, bear right, and there is Benjamin's. Upon entering, note their is an upper level, open to a great harbor view, and the main level, with the raw bar. We always take the lower level, we like to hear the locals and catch the local vibe.

This is a very clean place, note, restrooms up, HP access ?

Service has always been superb.

We dine here for the New England Clam Chowder, the real thing, NOT made from a base, a medium thick, clam studded, potato laced concoction, never too hot to the tongue, just right, served with Westminster crackers from Vermont. Clams, potatoes and onions are rough dice, which is THE New England way. Two other chowders are available, Rhode Island clam chowder,
with Portuguese origins, and Manhattan, more a soup than a chowder, with diced tomatoes - all three are excellent.

I must have my Ipswich Fried Clams (famous and best clams, from Ipswich Massachusetts) These are the real deal, whole clams with bellies, deep fried, salty and gritty, not oily and oh just right, served with home made tartar sauce.

The oyster are fresh, naturally limey, toothsome and really inexpensive.

Lobster rolls, three kinds, my favorite, traditional , with just a smear of mayo and a wee dite of celery, on a butted and toasted cheap hot dog roll. The other, lobster meat, nothing else, sauteed in butter on same hot dog roll, third one, lobster BLT, adds bacon and sliced tomatoes. A rule of thumb with lobster rolls - the cheaper the roll, the more lobster, the better the roll, you get less lobster - always look for the hot dog roll.

Whole lobsters and cooked in various ways are all available, at market price.

What more can I say about this wonderful place.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I ordered the prime rib special. The serving was huge and perfectly cooked to medium rare as requested. I could not come close to finishing the steak.
My wife ordered Lobster roll, They do a great job with this, fresh ingredients and not too much mayo.
Service was friendly and timely.
I'll definitely eat here again

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful local place, nice staff, great food, went for breakfast, truly delicious. Lots of energy, decent prices and very fresh oysters

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My daughter took me to Newport and this restaurant appeared to have an appealing nice menu. We entered and were offered inside or upstairs views. We went upstairs and were told to pick a seat as there were only two tables occupied. We were told someone would be out soon... After watching the staff clean tables, arrange chairs, chat and so forth for more than 10 minutes we figured we were NOT going to get service. Perhaps because of our cultural diversity? Surely not worth my time or money. Do not recommended. Very poor service, especially with few customers.

1  Thank l r