“Great food but no air conditioning”

Benjamin's Restaurant and Raw Bar
Ranked #13 of 234 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dallas, Tx
“Great food but no air conditioning”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

On a hot, crowded weekend it is not fun to have no air conditioning. We were fortunate to have a table by the window which we opened to full extent causing some napkins and papers to blow around table. Food did take a long while, but it was due to the crowd. Had lobster which was good that is why we come here. Hot weather does not make a good dining experience so maybe on days like this you should stay on pier if you want lobster. They do take reservations here which is nice since pier restaurants have waits.

Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was our third time visiting Newport. The first year we ate at this restaurant every night. The food was great. The second year we were disappointed. The prime rib was tough. We decided to try again this year. Again the prime rib was so tough we couldn't chew it. What a shame that this restaurant has gone down hill.

• Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Horrible!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I went today as a party of 1 and am sorry I did! My server had myself and a 4 top. She was very attentive to the 4 top table, however she could barely be bothered by me. I have a shellfish allergy and when I asked a question about the menu the response was "we don't at night but can't guarantee what they do during the day." when I asked if there was a chance of cross contamination I was told no. A bit later a couple sat behind me and the gentleman asked about a shellfish allergy and cross contamination. Their server inquired with the chef who advised not eating fish as there was a chance of cross contamination. This is after I had already eaten 3/4 of the mahi mahi I ordered. As a result I have had a reaction to the negligence of this server.

If you have a food allergy of any kind I would NOT eat at this location!

• Visited July 2013
Wallingford, Connecticut
“Great place for lunch!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stopped in here for lunch and we were not disappointed. Phil was wonderful behind the bar shucking clams, serving lunch and making drinks on a very busy Fourth of July weekend. The raw bar was great and so was the fish and chips. Highly recommend Benjamin's when you are in Newport!

Visited July 2013
“Food poisoning”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I got sick from one of the seafood dishes on the specials. I thought it was a fluke since I have eaten there before. A week later I sent a group of friends there and they all got sick.The drinks are great but stay away from the food they must be contaminating while they are cooking or using old seafood.

• Visited May 2013