“Excellent Food at a Reasonable Price”

Benjamin's Restaurant and Raw Bar
Ranked #13 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed excellent seafood meals at very reasonable prices. My wife had swordfish, I had a lobster. We shared a bottle of white wine. Grand marnier and creme brûlée. The cost was < $80 including a generous tip. The service was excellent. This restaurant is unique having many bottles of Grand Marnier that are owned by local patrons as part of a club.

There are newer reviews for Benjamin's Restaurant and Raw Bar

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Having lunch here really made my day (especially when the weather was cold and dreary)! The restaurant occupies two floors (have to get to the second level by stairs outside) and it was a bit strange (and somewhat irritating) initially that there were 2 empty but uncleared tables on the ground floor and we were told to try the second floor for space only to find that the second floor was A LOT MORE BUSY AND CROWDED! The server there told us we had to wait for 20 mins as they were "short-handed". In the end, we went down again and were seated in seconds.

But that aside, the food was great! We all had the lobster set which included soup, salad and a v yummy lobster! (all for $15.99). There was happy hour (12-2pm)at the raw bar where oysters went for $1 and clams went for $0.50! Such a great deal! Our server was really nice and patient with us and I would definitely recommend this for people who want to try great seafood at a bargain!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were walking down Thames as we have done many times in the past and have walked by this restaurant/bar many times. It has a upstairs dining room and bar also and its really rustic. I decided this time to go on in an check it out. We were looking for a good breakfast and they served that plus lunch and dinner. The breakfast was so darn good we decided that that evening we would try it for a late dinner. I had the prime rib which melted in my mouth and my husband had fried jumbo shrimp which was delicious!~ The waitress was deliteful and much to our surprise the prime rib was only $15.00 regular price with a $12.00 price between 4-7 oclock! Who could beat that? The food was wonderful,the Atmosphere deliteful and the wait staff right on spot, I would highly recommend this restaurant for any meal for any one wanted, steaks, prime rib, raw seafood bar which feather a item called the Mother Schucker and its $115.00 and more raw and cook seafood that two would have to handle it. It has 2 lobsters, dozen raw clams, 12 jumbo shrimp, crab and much more. If you in Newport please gtive Benjamins a try, its well worth it!

2  Thank keoke1946
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Called in for breakfast at 10.30am. Very tasty french toast and sausage. Good coffee too. Very reasonable bill. Staff pleasant and prompt

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Because this is a more casual restaurent we thought the food would just be ok, but we were pleasently surprised. The seafood was delicious and plentiful , and the service was very good. Prices were quite reasonable