“Great place and not too touristy”

Red Parrot Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Despite good write-ups here, I didn’t know what to expect at Red Parrot, given its location in the tourist area of Newport. But my wife and I ended up having a most enjoyable experience there.

Despite there being a full house on a Friday evening (go figure), things turned out well. After being told we’d have a 20-minute wait for a table, we spotted two seats at the second floor bar and decided to eat there. It was a good move, as we were able to talk to the bartenders about the menu offerings in much more detail than likely would have been the case with a waiter/waitress.

My wife went for an appetizer and dessert … more on that later. At the bartender’s suggestion, I opted for the lobster ravioli. When it arrived, I was surprised to see a platter full (okay, five, but they were HUGE) of lobster-stuffed ravioli in a tomato-cream sauce with a grunch more chopped lobster meat in it. Way more lobster than you’d ever get in a restaurant anywhere south of New England. Very tasty, rich and filling.

My wife, after her appetizer, watched the bartenders mixing blender drinks which incorporated Oreo cookies. She couldn’t resist the Oreo Mudslide. Lacking a sweet tooth, I resisted, which is just as well because she wasn’t in a sharing mood that night.

In addition to the usual suspects on the beer taps, they also have a Red Parrot house brew, which is Newport Storm’s Amber Ale. A pleasant surprise.

The service was excellent, but the ambience is on the so-so side. The three-story restaurant was pretty well packed, and it can be noisy at times. I was ecstatic when the bachelorette party moved up to a third-floor table.

So as long as you’re not looking for a quiet romantic experience, you’ll enjoy the food, service and prices at Red Parrot.

1  Thank John V

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Five of us had a late lunch at the Red Parrot. The food was exceptionally good and the waitress we had was also very professional. I had the "sexy steak salad", others had lobster ravioli, linguine with shrimp and scallops, etc. We all shared a fried calamari appetizer which was so tender and delicious served with 3 different sauces. We ordered one dessert, a peanut butter chocolate pie, and it was amazing. I donot think you will be disappointed.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Red Parrot was our first stop for a bite to eat, as it had come highly recommended by several people we talked to. I’m glad we listed to them, as it lived up to the expectation. It is conveniently located on the corner of Thames and America’s Cup Ave. The restaurant is very energetic and to say the menu is “large” is an understatement. It also has a large bar and a larger specialty cocktail list that contains fun concoctions such as the Pink Panther, Psychedelic Iguana, or the Oreo Mudslide. I opted for the Stoli Doli – vodka that had been marinating pineapple. Nice on Ice!

We snacked our way through the “Norman’s Baits” and I would highly recommend the Tanzanian Shrimp Tapas and the Shark Bites.

It’s a must visit if you’re in Newport and we hope to be back soon!

3  Thank DodgerMom668
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were thinking that this restaurant was either going to be overpriced with okay quality food, or average prices with a few decent dishes. Thank god we choose to give this place a shot because it blew past our expectations! I don't even know where to start....be sure to try the coconut shrimp and ask them what their in house dessert is.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

April 2013 lunch at the famous Red Parrot was very good. It was just opening for the day and they seated us right at a front streetside corner/window, kinda small for two people with place empty.....also, the waitress took her time to get back to us when we decided after ordering that we wanted expensive Bloody Marys....we couldn't order it until our lunch had arrived. But she was friendly, the food was very good and the drink was great! Pricey as most of Newport is so expect that. We always go there,its part of the Newport experience......Go enjoy!