“For those who think the Olive Garden is good Italian”

Red Parrot Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 234 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Boston, MA
“For those who think the Olive Garden is good Italian”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

If you go to the Olive Garden for good Italian food ... you won't mind the Red Parrot. Don't come here looking for seafood ... this place is pretty much tex-mex and pub food all the way. Inside, you may as well be in Arizona or Texas because most of what you will find here ... buffalo chicken fingers, fajitas, fish tacos, etc. I will admit that I went here because I wanted to stay away from the $10 bowls of clam chowder and $150 dinner for two you find closer to Bannister's Wharf and paid the price for my cheapness.

Another thing that bothered me ... although there were tap beers listed on the menu ... they had bottles only. I don't know if it was just a problem with their system that night or what but the taps were completely disconnected and I was offered Guiness in a bottle. Ugh.

The decor is standard bar-ish. Nothing special. Warm, comfortable ... although most of the seats are for two and are pushed right up against each other with a small isle in between. Prepare to be immersed in others' conversations if you are on a date. Especially if the tables near you have loud talkers.

The food is forgettable. And overpriced. Don't think because you go to a place with chicken fingers and pizzas on the menu that you will get off cheap. Although the burgers are $10, most everything else is in the $14 - $20 range. Everything seems to be of the fried variety and portions are not huge for anything that isn't deep fried. $10 is around the cheapest you'll find a glass of wine and expect $7 for a bottle of beer, which is more than a draft down by the water.

I can't say that I had a horrible meal here ... but this seems like more of a place locals who are sick of seafood and college kids who want to keep their buzz going over some onion rings might go. Skip this place and go down to some of the spots by the water if you want seafood. You'll pay a bit more but its worth it for atmosphere and the quality.

If you are the type who feels more comfortable at an Applebees than a nicer restaurant ... and if your idea of fancy is making your chicken fingers Buffalo instead of regular ... you may like this place. I'm always amazed at people who go to a place like Santa Monica or even Times Square and head right to the chain restaurants. Whenever I see people going into Bubba Gump Shrimp in NYC or the Hard Rock Cafe in Rome ... I wonder why on earth they wouldn't go for the local experience. But apparently some people feel the same way in Newport because the place was packed when we went there at 8:30 p.m. on a Saturday.

You won't hate the food here. You will complain about the prices. Your meal with be okay ... but not memorable if you are in Newport for the Newport experience.

Oh ... and the service? There were a few waitresses on for a packed restaurant ... so you do the math. It was hard to get a drink refill or order another beer.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank LovinHotelLife

Cape Cod, MA
“Always good food”
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We always have at least one meal at the RP when we go to Newport. Great selections, nice atmosphere. The last few times we went there, service was so-so....waited at least 10 minutes before anyone took our drink order and it wasn't busy. Jerk wings are hubby's favorite and I had the curry shrimp which was out of this world. If service had been a little better, I would give it 5 stars.

1 Thank winter64
New York City, New York
“Worst service and managers EVER”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

After getting married in the area, my husband and I directed our wedding guests to the Red Parrot for some after-wedding drinks. About 40 of us congregated at the bar (which was nearly empty, I might add), buying drinks and appetizers. After the kitchen closed, my friend ordered in several pizzas so we could keep the party going. The manager threw a hissy fit and shut down the entire bar for everyone. Our attempt to reason with them was met with cold disregard, with one bartender mockingly waving at us to leave the bar. While I disagree with their decision to object to bringing in food (we were, after all, buying dozens of drinks), it was their pretentious treatment of our guests that was completely appalling. My husband grew up in the area and has been going to Newport for decades, and he has never been treated more rudely. If you are visiting Newport, there are plenty of other options available, where you would be welcomed as a guest. I highly recommend you seek out someplace else.

6 Thank Vivian L
Boston, Massachusetts
“Was much better than expected”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was worried it would be a tourist trap, and not have good food, but friends wanted to go here, so we did, and liked it so much, we went back the next day too. Had gone to the Brick Alley Pub the night before ( because Tripadvisor had it rated highly) and the Red Parrot is a very similar style of restaurant. But the Red Parrot was MUCH better. Was not nearly as noisy. Is a pretty big restaurant, so there is a lot of space between the tables. The waitresses both times were super, and patient. No rush at all. The food was excellent. This is not gourmet, but pub - style. Clam chowder, pasta, fish/chips, lobster salad, and appetizers were all great. Nacho's were some of best we have had. Deserts were huge, and easily shared. Was reasonably priced.

4 Thank 76543
Canton, Massachusetts
“Well worth the visit”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We decided to take a spur of the moment day trip to beautiful Newport. For lunch, we ate at the Red Parrot. This is an excellent restaurant, with a nice atmosphere, lots of menu depth, good service, generous portion, and very fairly priced. This was our third visit to the Red Parrot, in a two year span, and yesterday was another all-around good experience. We highly recommend it.