“Best Place In RI”

Brick Alley Pub
Ranked #7 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Brick Alley Pub we have it all: "pub style" comfort food to modern multicultural cuisine all served with genuine down-home hospitality. Like America itself, Brick Alley is one big melting pot of ethnicities, flavors, and fun. If you are looking for stiff, over the top formal service with small portions of over-priced food, we are not that place. After more than 30 years as one of Rhode Island's most popular restaurants with locals and tourists alike, the Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant has earned landmark status. Located at 140 Thames Street across from the Brick Market Place in Downtown Newport the Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant offers a warm and cozy fireplace in the winter and comfortably air-conditioned dining rooms in the summer. The Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant specializes in a blend of flavorful steaks, fresh local seafood, pastas, and seasonal specials. Begin your dinner with a selection from our cocktail menu or choose a wine from our extensive wine list. This wine list features over 250 different vintages and has received the Wine Spectator Award for Excellence. Open for lunch and dinner, Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant accepts reservations and offers an upstairs function room that can accommodate up to 170 people. The Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant has received favorable reviews from countless local and national publications including: The Providence Journal, Travel-Holiday, Ford Times, Rhode Island Monthly, and Newport Life Magazine. In addition, Jameson Irish Whiskey bestowed the restaurant with their "Best Irish Coffee Award" for three consecutive years and inducted the Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant into their Hall of Fame. Brick Alley has also been featured on The Food Network and is a favorite of Boston's Phantom Gourmet.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is the best best restaurant in Newport... Every time I travel to RI my first place to eat is here. The salad bar is the best, and if you like meat the prime rib is delicious... Always try the famous espresso martini if you like cocktails.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been going to the Brick Alley Pub for the past 12 years, for all occasions. It's a special place that has been great for dates with my girlfriend, a large group of college friends, and a nice dinner with my parents. The different segments of the restaurant ensure that no dining experience will be the same every time. And the menu has the quality of food to satisfy the most refined palate and the diversity to appease the pickiest of eaters with a price that makes everybody happy. Above all, the service and commitment to getting the order exactly to perfection is what really makes this place unique. Many restaurants will make that claim, but the Brick Alley Pub delivers time and time again. Any trip to Newport should include a visit to the Brick Alley Pub.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

A quirky place with many interesting bits and pieces hanging off the walls. It has a good vibe and a good buzz. Most importantly, the food is pretty good and the experience is enhanced by the efficient and friendly staff. Good choice.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We chose this restaurant for our second night in Newport, after having eaten at a "fancier" place on our first night. This is more of a fun, family type restaurant. We didn't realize when we ordered that the unlimited Soup/Salad/Bread bar was such a popular part of their dining experience, so we didn't make that part of our dinner order. But, we did see a lot of people eating from that bar area, so if we went again, we might choose that option instead.
That being said, we did enjoy our casual dinner. I had a USDA prime mushroom cheddar cheeseburger, which was huge, and one of the best I've ever had. My husband had a corned beef reuben sandwich, which he also really liked.
When we initially ordered, we also intended to have the soup (I think I requested Lobster Bisque) but our server forgot to enter that into the system, so we didn't get it. When we pointed it out, she apologized profusely. HOWEVER, as it turned out, we were GLAD we didn't get the soup - we couldn't have enjoyed the rest of our meals, which were delicious. So, just know that the entrees included plenty of food - we could probably have spit one entree between the two of us, in fact. One of us got the side salad as our side item, and the other one got fries. Both of them were good, and completed the meal.
We were too full to get dessert, but we did have drinks with the meal. They have a very full bar, lots of specialty drinks, lots of beers, "triple shot" mixed drinks, etc., etc.
They have one of the fullest menus I've seen - there is literally something for everyone on their menu.
The total for our meal was $40, before tax and tip. That included two sandwich platters, two beers, and one mixed drink. Plenty of food and drink for a pretty fair price.
We would definitely come here again if we go back to Newport.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The restaurants are one of the many reasons I live in Newport. Sadly the Brick Alley isn't one.

I have been avoiding going to this place. Some of my friends went there and had poor experience. So I wasn't surprised by the meal.

I ordered the "pulled pork" sandwich. My idea of pulled pork is something cooked slowly for hours until the flavor of the sauce and the pork intermingle with an intricate delicacy available only in true American down home cooking.

It is rare to find it and it certainly wasn't at Brick Alley. What I received was quite a lot of some sort of meat with some sauce poured on sitting on a soggy bun.

I also ordered the Caesar side salad. It had some nice Parmesan chips, but the dressing was almost nonexistent except for the after taste of pepper.

My partner had a rather uninspired clam chowder.

The Brick Alley's rating is a rather sad statement on the level of culinary discretion among Newport's tourists. Unless you come from a town with one diner, you certainly can do better. Although I would be willing to concede that the diner will actually be the preferred experience.

1  Thank xTallyrand
matt_romafarms, Owner at Brick Alley Pub, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to write a review on TA. I am very sorry that you were not happy with the food on your visit. We strive and work hard at perfection each and every day. Occasionally we do make a mistake and over/undercook something or in this case a soggy bun and Caesar Dressing that is not to your liking. Our pulled pork sandwich is presented on a grilled roll. I am sorry that we did not grill the bread enough.
When you alerted your server to your dissatisfaction what was done to make it right? I ask because we guarantee everything that we do, and would have done whatever it took to make it right. Your accusation about the sandwich being comprised of "some sort of meat" is beyond unfair and is in my mind slanderous.
I really think that you came in here looking to pick us apart. All I ask is that you judge and compare us as the Casual American Style Pub that we have been for 33 years. We know that we are not everyone cup of tea. Many diners are looking for a more refined, artistic, candle lit approach to their culinary experiences. I would love to sit down in over a cup of coffee, and explain and show you where we are coming from, and what we are all about. Please Call me 401 862 4668 or email me any time. I look forward to hearing from you.
Matt Plumb

Been to Brick Alley Pub? Share your experiences!