“Where The Locals Eat”

Brick Alley Pub
Ranked #7 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Brick Alley Pub we have it all: "pub style" comfort food to modern multicultural cuisine all served with genuine down-home hospitality. Like America itself, Brick Alley is one big melting pot of ethnicities, flavors, and fun. If you are looking for stiff, over the top formal service with small portions of over-priced food, we are not that place. After more than 30 years as one of Rhode Island's most popular restaurants with locals and tourists alike, the Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant has earned landmark status. Located at 140 Thames Street across from the Brick Market Place in Downtown Newport the Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant offers a warm and cozy fireplace in the winter and comfortably air-conditioned dining rooms in the summer. The Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant specializes in a blend of flavorful steaks, fresh local seafood, pastas, and seasonal specials. Begin your dinner with a selection from our cocktail menu or choose a wine from our extensive wine list. This wine list features over 250 different vintages and has received the Wine Spectator Award for Excellence. Open for lunch and dinner, Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant accepts reservations and offers an upstairs function room that can accommodate up to 170 people. The Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant has received favorable reviews from countless local and national publications including: The Providence Journal, Travel-Holiday, Ford Times, Rhode Island Monthly, and Newport Life Magazine. In addition, Jameson Irish Whiskey bestowed the restaurant with their "Best Irish Coffee Award" for three consecutive years and inducted the Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant into their Hall of Fame. Brick Alley has also been featured on The Food Network and is a favorite of Boston's Phantom Gourmet.
Barnegat, New Jersey
“Where The Locals Eat”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We went to Brick Alley on recommendation from the owner of the B&B we stayed at and sure enough, this place had good food. He said this is were the locals like to eat. So if the locals like it, we should to. We were told there was a 30 min wait but found a place at the bar and had a drink and only waited 15 min.
Pub had a good atmosphere and I loved the decor. Once seated, server met w/us right away. We got our food quite fast. My wife had the scallop dish that was amazing. I had a craving for a burger and had the pulled pork burger and was delicious. While we were eating, we saw someone order dessert and it looked amazing but we were soooo full that we didn't have room for dessert. Next time we visit, we will have dessert for dinner.
My only issue on this place was a 1 person shared bathroom. Every time we needed to use the rest room, we had to wait in line. The good thing, even though it was shared, it was still clean.

• Visited May 2013

Salt Lake City, UT
“Very nice. A local favorite.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This restaurant is located right on Thames Street where the action is. The only parking is on the street, but there is a row of "angle parking" in the center of the street, so a much better chance of getting a spot. The place is quite large - there are two separate rooms that connect at the back where the bar is. This is obviously a favorite of the locals there. As people came in they would wave or stop to chat with others diners. I ordered a bowl of clam chowder. The "bowl" was just 50 cents more than the "cup". When it came it was very large, and very hot. The bowl itself was pewter which retained the heat. It seems everyone is putting extra "stuff" in their clam chowder lately, and their version also had "extra ingredients", but was very good. My husband also had some chowder along with a cheeseburger and fries and he said the burger and fries were very good, too. The soup was $5.95 and the cheese burger and fries $10.95. We would go here again if in the area.

• Visited April 2013
Laurel Springs, NJ
“Excellent food, reasonable prices”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Brick Alley is a funky eatery right in the heart of downtown Newport, an easy walk from most hotels and B&B's. The pub has a very eclectic decor, complete with a full sized fire engine, which is used as a salad bar. Families and couples alike will enjoy taking in all there is to see on the walls and even the ceiling at Brick Alley. And best of all, the food is delicious and reasonably priced. I had a grilled chicken sandwich topped with melted Swiss cheese and spinach-artichoke dip.....delish!! My husband really enjoyed his broiled salmon. The yummy salad bar also includes a choice of 2 soups and fresh, homemade breads, and is included with your dinner or as an a la carte meal. We have been to Brick Alley at least 7 or 8 times, and have always had a great meal, which keeps us coming back again and again. Only drawback is the teeny-tiny bar area, we have hung out there several times while waiting for a table and it is always standing room only.

• Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Enjoyed it for an early dinner”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently went to Brick Alley with my boyfriend after spending a day in Newport. I live around the area so I was familiar with the name but had never eaten there before. There was a 20 minute wait, but they told us it would be this exact amount which gave us extra time to walk around which was nice and our table was ready as soon as we returned. We sat towards the back of the restaurant which was a cool pub-style setting but I would have preferred to sit towards the front due to the fact that there weren't any windows where we were sitting. The waiter was extremely nice and very attentive. We ordered calamari for an appetizer which was very good (especially since it was Rhode Island style with the banana peppers!) and then for dinner I ordered the Lobstercado Sandwich (lobster and avocado with melted muenster cheese on top) and my boyfriend ordered the Boston Steak Sandwich (steak, cheese, and peppers). I really liked my sandwich! It had the perfect amount of mayonnaise (because I'm really not a fan so it was very light) but I would say I did not enjoy the balsamic dressing on my side salad because it was very vinegary. My boyfriend liked his sandwich but it wasn't his favorite. However, he is from Philly so I don't think any time of cheese steak sandwich can compare. The service was surprisingly quick despite the restaurant being so busy. I would recommend going there if you want some good food for a good price but I would suggest sitting by the window during the day. All around, good experience, but not my favorite restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
Jasper, Tennessee
“A wait worth it”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

As expected on a Saturday night, we had a wait. The prime rib special was quite good. My daughter had the lettuce wrap and commented that it was the best she had ever had. Oddly the children menu hamburger was on crustless toasted bread slices.

Visited May 2013

Been to Brick Alley Pub? Share your experiences!