“Perfect pub experience”

Ranked #65 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Irish, Jamaican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: O'Brien's Pub is located in the fifth ward district of Newport RI, and has been operated continuously since 1945. Our current operation was established in 1979 and has continued to be a local favorite among Newport residents and tourists alike. The outdoor garden patio has grown to seat over 200 customers and is an enjoyable place to meet for cocktails and to sit for lunch or dinner. Children are typically kept busy by our play fish fountain located in the center of the patio. O'Brien's Pub has a large menu which features daily appetizers, lunch, and dinner specials. We have variety of imported and domestic beer, as well as frozen drink and coffee specialties. O'Brien's Pub is open 364 days a year and host large functions and special parties. In winter months, the gas stove adds warmth and coziness to the pub. During day time hours video games, pool tables, and our five TV's offer entertainment to all ages.
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Arrived in Newport searching for somewhere inexpensive. O'Brien's pub was exactly what I was looking for. Service was friendly and efficient, and the food was excellent, with generous portions all round. Try the mussel "starter" (which I had as a main). Sweet potato fries are a must. Although my sons are way too grown, the fountain outside provides great entertainment for kids, with water toys provided. If you're looking for a fancy meal out you may want to look elsewhere, but if not, O'Brien's is an excellent option.

There are newer reviews for O'Brien's Pub

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We went here twice because we had our dogs with us and they made it very easy! The food was good. Nothing fancy, but good solid grub! It was the dog friendly attitude we loved. They bring out a dog water bowl right away. They had a Doggie Delite Menu, which consists of either a 4 or 8 ounce burger. When it comes out, it is all chopped up in a cardboard dog bowl! Loved it!!

3  Thank CTKath
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I went yesterday to this restaurant. I like it because it has an european feel to it. You can dine outside. One thing that keeps me coming is that I can walk in with my dog. After they took my order they brought ice cold water for my dog and my sons dog, together with some doggy biscuits. They even have a doggy menu!!! The atmosphere is amazing. Dogs are never a problem. Even the patrons without pets (and their kids) love to come to your table and pet your dog. In fact, my dog was getting to close to the table besides me so I started to pull her away. I was reprimanded by a man sitting at this table because he wanted to pet her. My waitress was excellent. She had such a contagious smile. The clam chowder is a must. Delicious!!! Also, please try the seafood cakes. The experience, once again, was such a pleasant one. It's exactly what your hoping for when you decide to close your kitchen and dine out. However you're not just going to have a good meal but enjoy yourself at the same time. Highly recommend.

3  Thank Nelson S
O'Brien's P, Manager at O'Brien's Pub, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review! We appreciate you taking the time to let everyone know about your positive experience here :)

Reviewed June 21, 2014

My Dog Friendly Day Trips group had lunch at O'Briens today, while we were on our first visit to Newport. The staff was friendly, attentive, and personable. The dogs had an amazing time, and were quite full after their picks from the doggy delights menu! Our food was fantastic, from veggie wraps with sweet potato fries to lobster rolls and fish n chips! 2 thumbs up for O'Briens!

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed our experience at O'Briens Pub. The meals were good at a good price (loved the sweet potato fries!) and the water fountain on the patio is such a fantastic idea. My son loved playing in the fountain! We would definitely visit again!

1  Thank bazingo99 .