“Good meal”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant was very clean and accommodating. My wife and I were in Newport for the weekend and Cafe Zelda was highly recommended. We went early in the evening and were seated without wait. I ordered the chicken fried lobster and it was excellent. They cut up a lobster and fry it. Doesn't sound great but it was. My wife had the short ribs and they were excellent as well. I would recommend highly.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My friend and I are frequent visitors to Newport, me having lived there previously but now live in Boston. Café Zelda is definitely one of our favorite restaurants in town but during previous visits we have found service to be spotty at best. Not this time around! We we seated in Alicia's section of the restaurant and she really enhanced our experience and overall made our evening. She approached our table and introduced herself and was friendly although not overly so, and took our drink order. We ordered a bottle of wine upon her recommendation and I asked for a glass of water also with lemon.
She returned promptly with our wine and she also returned with a glass of water for my friend Karen! Karen was stunned because she said when Alicia walked away that she wished that she had asked for one. When we asked how she knew this, Alicia said that she often brings the whole table water if one guest asks for one because it saves her a step because it likely happens that more people want water when they see water served and not only that, she likes to have water herself when drinking alcoholic beverages. What a VERY SMART GIRL!!
So anyway, let's get to the food. I had the steak tartare which was to die for. It had capers and onions and it was delicious, so good that I did not want to share it with my friend Karen who decided to go with the Nori Wrapped Tuna which was equally as good.
During our dinner, we did not have to touch our wine, Alicia is excellent with her wine upkeep and we never wanted for more water either. In fact we never wanted for anything. She anticipated our every need without being intrusive or hovering which is exactly what we like when we go out and enjoy each other's company.
We both opted for the Ahi Tuna for dinner and they were both choice cuts of tuna with no fat running through and prepared rare just the way we asked. Hooray!!!
And to think that we were hesitant to go back to Zelda's because of the bad service we had received in the past? Well, from now on, as long as Alicia is there, we will be requesting a table in her station. Thank you, Alicia, and tell your boss to give you a raise!! Lol...

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Since my glowing review, I've canged my mind. At my last visit, service was efficient but surly. Food was average. My friends wondered why I was so eager to bring them there. The sauce that drenched my food was so overpowering that I found myself eating bread just to get a break from it. There are a lot of restaurants in Newport. I'm going to visit them.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We showed up at 9:45 for dinner. They close at 10 but made us entirely welcome and did not make us feel rushed at all. They staff were attentive but not intrusive, they offered suggestions for specialties and drinks. We had an enjoyable and delicious meal at the end of which they offered dessert and coffee. We had a nice dining experience and would go again.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were there in October without a reservation and had no problem. It was a lovely restaurant and the help was great. I had the prix fix, mozzarella and tomato salad, swordfish entree, and amazing gelato for desert, all for $27! Impressive because it was excellent. My husband ate off the regular menu. He had grilled shrimp (you order by the piece), and for an entree he had the hanger steak which was cooked perfect and was delicious. My gelato portion was so large we shared it and still couldn't finish it! I will come back here again!

Been to Cafe Zelda? Share your experiences!