“Great food!”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My family ordered 4 different entrees and all 4 were great! I had the scallops and shrimp, very good...I would only recommend they added a pasta or rice to it as a ton of garlic seemed a bit odd. My husband had some type of fish wrap that he says was his best meal on our vacation.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Zelda

Reviewed May 13, 2012

A Groupon brought us here on this particular day and I'm so glad we bought it.We always check out restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor first before we visit of buy a discount coupon,and I noticed that there aren't many mentioning lunch at Cafe Zelda so I thought it would be a nice idea for potential customers to read one from a fairly knowledgeable source.
Cafe Zelda occupies a charming corner in an old brownstone and brick building on Thames St.
I called for reservations which is always a good idea,but on this particular day it seemed they were not necessary.We were an hour early for our 2 o'clock reservation and there were only 2 other tables seated and lunch is only served until 3.However upon being seated at a cosy table in the back of the restaurant things soon changed for there was a sudden rush and the place filled to near capacity within minutes.Our server was promptly at out table to take our order and brought waters without being asked which is always a good sign.We knew what we wanted right away because we has smartly checked out the menu on line.We started with a delicious assortment of olives (with pits mind you) that were very fresh tasting,marinated with shallots,herbs and just a hint of garlic.Shortly after we finished the olives our sandwiches arrived, mine a classic Savoyard ham, melted gruyere with scratch made béarnaise served warm on a exceptionally wonderful crisp baguette.My partner ordered a special lunch offering which was a perfectly Grilled Salmon Club with Applewood Smoked Bacon,tender greens and Roasted Tomato which really made his sandwich really stand out from your average Club.Both sandwiches came with a generous helping of crisp golden brown café frites (aka French fries,but smaller,served with a sprinkling of fresh parsley and meant to be eaten with a fork).I asked for some of their house made mayonnaise and some malt vinegar to go with my fries as I am not a big fan of ketchup.It's a great combination if you have never tried your fries this way.Our waters and drinks were refilled effortlessly and our dishes cleared properly without interruption to our conversation.
We gladly spent a little more than the Groupon value and our excellent service was reflected in our tip on the full value of the meal,something every Groupon customer should always do. This is an example of a Groupon that is done right.It helped introduce us to a new place and enticed us to spend a bit more for a wonderful experience that we will repeat in the future with or without a discount ! Lovely well appointed atmosphere,excellent food and service all around.I encourage all of you readers to try this place out for lunch sometime now that the weather has warmed up and the season is kicking into high gear in beautiful Newport,Rhode Island.I can't wait to return for dinner sometime !

1  Thank culinaryliterati
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were celebrating our 10th anniversary at Zelda's, and were expecting a very nice experience at Zelda. The atmosphere was very nice. Had a lot of character. After we were seated, the family next to us was getting ready to leave. You could see they were becoming annoyed. After the dad paid the bill, he siad to us, "Good luck with her, it took 25 minutes to get our bill and she never asked us if we wanted dessert." We took his comment with a grain of salt, everyone has a different opinion. Well, the waitress has no personality, but we overlooked that. Now, the service, after we got our meal, she came back once to check on us. That was the last we saw of her. I flagged her down for the check, and she got it to us. Then the WAIT started. The left the check booklet upright for her to grab. She made 3 trips over the next 20 minutes to the table next to us, which was 2 feet away and never grabbed the check. I finally flagged the other waitress to take our credit card. I complained to that waitress on the wait and she stated that they had no hostess that night. I'm sorry, but waitresses should be trained to multi-task. If you have an area of tables, it doesn't take long to check on them while in the area. These waitress was soooo single dimensional. I don't blame her, as much as I blame the training that Zelda's provides. You don't want the blonde haired waitress with the black thick framed glasses to serve you. We should have listened to the family before us. Although, I would go back, the food was excellent.

1  Thank David H
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I went to Cafe Zelda after reading the reviews we were expecting an excellent meal. When we arrived the kitchen was not openining for 15 minutes. The hostess did bring out bread but it seemed like maybe it was from the day before or a little stale and not warm but we were still hopefull for dinner. The waitress was very friendly but not able to give us any reccommendations other than the truffled foie Gras. We did not care for it at all and didn't eat it. The waitress noticed this immediatly and she told us later that she took it off the check. Because most people love it and she was suprised we did not care for it. If you are an avid pate eater maybe you could tell us if this is a magnificent dish and maybe we just didn't appreciate it. I can say however that my husband had the scallopswhich he did enjoy and i just had a mesclun salad and added chicken. As i was unsure again of what might be good. I do believe maybe we should have asked the chef to just choose for us his favorite dishes to make. I believe we will go back to give it another try. Maybe on the bar side next time as we heard they serve too. I think maybe ask for exactly what the chef's specialties are from the chef if you have never been there. It was an absolutely wonderful salad and my husband di enjoy his dinner as well.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

The food and service were impeccable. With restaurant week prices we were able to enjoy one of our favorite wines - a delicious Joseph Phelps Cab (pricy @ $85 a bottle) with dinner.

Been to Cafe Zelda? Share your experiences!