“Couldn't have selected a more perfect venue!”
Review of Salvation Cafe

Salvation Cafe
Ranked #25 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Salvation Cafe offers fireside dining in the winter and award winning al fresco dining in the Summer. Voted "Best Restaurant, Newport" by Providence Phoenix 2012 & 2013. Our summertime raw bar menu is available in our outdoor tiki bar. Enjoy a lobster roll & our famous Coconut Mojitos or join us for Sangria & Sunsets after a day at the beach! Parking is available in lot behind restaurant.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This review is very long overdue! My brother got married at the end of October and my mother and I were in charge of planning the rehearsal dinner. We chose Salvation Café and I couldn't have picked a more perfect venue. I'm an NYC event planner and had previously worked at a food magazine so I'm super selective (ehem...picky). Working with George and Sue was easy breezy. George helped with my menu selections and Sue made sure we had the right wine pairings. The menu selections were perfect, they were nice enough to swap out some items here and there to customize our menu and I so appreciated that. The Kale Caesar Salad is the best one I've ever had! The Cornish Hen, Vegan Risotto and Salmon were delicious. It's hard for a restaurant to produce three different entrees for a large group but everyone got their food at the same time and the service was so attentive. Just the right amount of accommodating everyone's needs without hovering.

Onto the space itself - it's a beautiful, fully private, brand new open space with high ceilings right above the main restaurant. We were a group of 40 people and had plenty of space for a pre-dinner cocktail reception and then we did three long tables for dinner. They even have a little outdoor space - adorable!

During a walk through of the space I had mentioned that I loved the blue bell jars they had. George made a note of it and sure enough they were there for my event! These types of things go a long way with me when planning an event and I really can't say enough great things about the staff, space and food. Sue even helped me set up the table décor I had brought in and made it even better with her own additions.

Also would like to mention that we visited the restaurant a few weeks prior and enjoyed our dinner in the main restaurant tremendously as well.

Years of planning events and I can honestly say this was by far one of the best places I've had the pleasure to work with.

3  Thank Adina G

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My partner and I were in Newport for the weekend and were staying a short walk from the Salvation Cafe. I had done some research on restaurants and bars and this was one of many on my list. We contemplated a few in the area before walking in, without a reservation, to see if we could get seated. We were told there'd be a 15 minute wait, which was fine with us. This was about 8:30 on a Friday night. We didn't even have time to order drinks at the bar before we were seated (YAY). The place is funky and looked small but they have a while back area that looked like it was closed, maybe since it's offseason??

The food options were great and the beer list was too. There was a restaurant week menu but we didn't order from that. We shared the calamari, which was average, although the wasabi sauce on the plate was a tasty addition. I had a filet with brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes and sitting on pureed turnip and my boyfriend had the gumbo. Both were fantastic!! Our server was attentive but not intrusive and was helpful when we were done when we asked questions about the neighborhood. I was really happy that we decided to walk in here and I would definitely recommend this place for dinner or drinks. The vibe was good and prices definitely reasonable.

1  Thank alissaks
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Pad Thai, during our visits to the Salvation Café the staff is attentive, willing to please and happy to be there. The menu has many tempting items, but Pad Thai is usually ordered and the remainder taken home.

1  Thank Steven R
Reviewed October 22, 2013

They have a wonderful and very interesting menu. The service was top notch all of which enticed me to return for a second time in two weeks.

1  Thank Carl O
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I attended a business dinner here, and it was a very nice choice. We had a group of about 16 people, and we had chosen our main courses ahead of time (which is always a nice touch for a large group as it keeps things moving). We had the 2nd floor to ourselves, including the balcony patios, so we didn't have to think about whether we were noisy. The food was good, as was the service. And they were very accommodating in getting a birthday cake for us as we were celebrating some birthdays and special occasions.