“Best Food in Newport”

Ranked #29 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Salvation Cafe offers fireside dining in the winter and award winning al fresco dining in the Summer. Voted "Best Restaurant, Newport" by Providence Phoenix 2012 & 2013. Our summertime raw bar menu is available in our outdoor tiki bar. Enjoy a lobster roll & our famous Coconut Mojitos or join us for Sangria & Sunsets after a day at the beach! Parking is available in lot behind restaurant.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant several times and it never fails to deliver. Unique cocktails, great beers on tap and always interesting and delicious food. I always want at least 3 things on the menu....creative, complex, large portions and very friendly staff. I hosted a birthday party in their upstairs room and the event was perfect....this is a must visit again and again in Newport.

1  Thank capecodders284
There are newer reviews for Salvation Cafe

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I simply cannot praise this restaurant enough. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner there. I found it through another restaurant that couldn't accommodate us and then of course checked it out on the web. Although I liked the private room they offer for a party such as ours, I was skeptical not trusting photos of anything these days. I dealt with George and Sue over the phone, living in Colorado, for next months planning our event. The menu was perfect. When I wanted to replace a choice, they immediately accommodated me. All of our communications were easy and assuring.

Now to the event. The food was absolutely delicious and I consider myself having a discriminating palate. We picked appetizers out of variety of offerings all sounding good. Two waitresses passed them around which added a festive note. We were offered a wine selection that was moderately priced and perfect. And their signature dessert is delicious, light and creative.

The room looked exactly like it was presented on the web. Blond wood, twinkling lights and a bar. Our party was 30 and there was more than enough room.

And the bill?? It was totally appropriate and honestly I believe a bargain for what they did and served. Can I say more?? Except thank you Salvation Cafe.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

So I love salvation cafe and just had a lovely time there. But. My friend and I scoped out the menu before we came and everything sounded so delicious. We were disappointed that the items we were so excited to try were not available. In fact, the entire menu was different from the one on the website! Luckily for us, the food and service were great despite our initial surprise. But why the delay? The menu is from Nov 2012 and we even checked Facebook for the specials plus I follow on Instagram.......nothing?? I'd like to be excited and know what's available when dining somewhere in the Newport area.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We enjoyed a lazy Sunday brunch at the Salvation Cafe. They had both brunch and lunch menus available, so we took advantage of that. The most breakfast items came with a mimosa (or other beverage) and the rest of us shared a pitcher of sangria with our BBQ sandwiches.

Over all a nice experience, but the waiter seemed to be learning as he went. He promptly spilt sangria on a friend's khaki pants and then left our water glasses dry for about 1/2 our meal.

So great food, not-so-great service, but I'll probably give them another chance.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Was recently at Salvation, and had the short rib burger. There is something amazing about peppadew ketchup, let me tell you. The staff was attentive, the spicy nuts amazing and the decor has a homey, lived-in feel that was comfortable. If you're in Newport, please don't miss this awesome spot!