“Twisted Flavor”

Salvation Cafe
Ranked #25 of 233 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Salvation Cafe offers fireside dining in the winter and award winning al fresco dining in the Summer. Voted "Best Restaurant, Newport" by Providence Phoenix 2012 & 2013. Our summertime raw bar menu is available in our outdoor tiki bar. Enjoy a lobster roll & our famous Coconut Mojitos or join us for Sangria & Sunsets after a day at the beach! Parking is available in lot behind restaurant.
Milford, Connecticut
“Twisted Flavor”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The interior of the Salvation Cafe is very nicely done although very loud. We were not impressed at all with the food and were trying to figure out where the chef was going with the flavors of spices used in our food. Its a little overboard with the mixture of flavor of spices to be different which ruined the food. Would not go for dinner there again but a nice place for drinks. We are also big wine drinkers with dinner and they lack a wine list that is worthy of being a wine list.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank AngelaBosco
NewportBuddy, Owner at Salvation Cafe, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Sorry that you were disappointed with your food experience. The chef and I work together to create the menu so if it felt "twisted" I'm not surprised! You are so right about the sound and the wine list, I am working on them both. Thanks for your input and since you like the drinks, I hope you'll try our out door tiki bar this summer for a coconut mojito or sunset sangria.

Providence, Rhode Island
“Delicious Blend of Traditional with a Twist”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We loved the Salvation Cafe. The dinner was exquisite. I had a gnocchi special that it was tantalizing. Our table also had a salmon dish that was perfectly grilled and with the added fried spinach it was a flavor party. The atmosphere was great. However, if you want a quieter dinner experience make sure you sit in the back room and not next to the bar. This is a restaurant that we will drive from Providence to simply have a great meal.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Armesto
NewportBuddy, Owner at Salvation Cafe, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Wow, thanks so much. What did we do to deserve the bounty of Providence lately? Last Saturday night it seemed every person in the place was from Providence which was quite a compliment because you have a ton of great places to choose from in your fair city. I'm glad you could make it down south for us, let's do a beach day / sunset sangria / raw bar session when it gets hot! I really appreciate you taking the time to provide positive feedback.
Massachusetts
“Don't Bother”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Food mediocre and noise level way too high. The eclectic decoration is interesting, but does not overcome the negatives.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Spiral54
NewportBuddy, Owner at Salvation Cafe, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. We do offer three dining rooms with differing levels of ambient sound. The back barn dining room is a lil bit country, the front bar dining area is a lil bit rock-n-roll. I hope if you find yourselves back in our neck of the woods you'll give us a chance to make it up to you in terms of us taking better care of your specific tastes. If you do decide to give us a second chance please give me a heads-up at info@salvationcafe.com and I will do my best to make your experience better. I appreciate the feedback.
Newport, Rhode Island
“Great food, also great for events”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been here 4 times. Each meal has been excellent. Out of all the restaurants I've been to in Newport (I've been to about 30), this one has the nicest interior and vibe. I highly recommend. Moderately priced. Delicious, healthy, high quality ingredients - i.e. salmon and spinach chips, sticky ribs, pad thai with shrimp, cheese platter, kale ceasar.

I recently hosted a cocktails event in their upstairs event room. It is gorgeous. Wood walls. Beautiful lighting. Due to a last minute cancellation by another venue, the Salvation staff had only 24 hours to put my event for 60 people together. They did a great job with delicious food and a wide variety of affordable drinks. Was great for an informal cocktails event. Would be great for a wedding dinner.

• Visited February 2013
NewportBuddy, Owner at Salvation Cafe, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback and I'm so glad your other venue had to cancel! According to staff reports you guys were an easy, generous & fun group. We were really fortunate to have you.
RI
“Always great”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've been going to Salvation Cafe for years now and it is consistently delicious! The drinks are always as good as the food which is important to me. I love their Coconut Lime Rickey cocktail! Over the years there have been different renovations, but the final result is always the same: quirky, cozy and great food! I love the tofu Pad Thai so much that I have to sometimes force myself to try something different. I can't remember every having something that I did not like and I am picky. I love that it isn't a scene and that you can go casually dressed and just enjoy a good meal.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank tavr
Thanks for being a long time customer and living through all of our changes with us. It's great to hear that we haven't left old faithful friends behind, we hope to keep it high quality, low-stress for years to come.