“Don't Bother” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salvation Cafe

Salvation Cafe
Ranked #24 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Salvation Cafe offers fireside dining in the winter and award winning al fresco dining in the Summer. Voted "Best Restaurant, Newport" by Providence Phoenix 2012 & 2013. Our summertime raw bar menu is available in our outdoor tiki bar. Enjoy a lobster roll & our famous Coconut Mojitos or join us for Sangria & Sunsets after a day at the beach! Parking is available in lot behind restaurant.
Massachusetts
“Don't Bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Food mediocre and noise level way too high. The eclectic decoration is interesting, but does not overcome the negatives.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Spiral54
NewportBuddy, Owner at Salvation Cafe, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. We do offer three dining rooms with differing levels of ambient sound. The back barn dining room is a lil bit country, the front bar dining area is a lil bit rock-n-roll. I hope if you find yourselves back in our neck of the woods you'll give us a chance to make it up to you in terms of us taking better care of your specific tastes. If you do decide to give us a second chance please give me a heads-up at info@salvationcafe.com and I will do my best to make your experience better. I appreciate the feedback.

Newport, Rhode Island
“Great food, also great for events”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've been here 4 times. Each meal has been excellent. Out of all the restaurants I've been to in Newport (I've been to about 30), this one has the nicest interior and vibe. I highly recommend. Moderately priced. Delicious, healthy, high quality ingredients - i.e. salmon and spinach chips, sticky ribs, pad thai with shrimp, cheese platter, kale ceasar.

I recently hosted a cocktails event in their upstairs event room. It is gorgeous. Wood walls. Beautiful lighting. Due to a last minute cancellation by another venue, the Salvation staff had only 24 hours to put my event for 60 people together. They did a great job with delicious food and a wide variety of affordable drinks. Was great for an informal cocktails event. Would be great for a wedding dinner.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NewportBuddy, Owner at Salvation Cafe, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback and I'm so glad your other venue had to cancel! According to staff reports you guys were an easy, generous & fun group. We were really fortunate to have you.
RI
“Always great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've been going to Salvation Cafe for years now and it is consistently delicious! The drinks are always as good as the food which is important to me. I love their Coconut Lime Rickey cocktail! Over the years there have been different renovations, but the final result is always the same: quirky, cozy and great food! I love the tofu Pad Thai so much that I have to sometimes force myself to try something different. I can't remember every having something that I did not like and I am picky. I love that it isn't a scene and that you can go casually dressed and just enjoy a good meal.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank tavr
Thanks for being a long time customer and living through all of our changes with us. It's great to hear that we haven't left old faithful friends behind, we hope to keep it high quality, low-stress for years to come.
bristol
“Fun, Funky and Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Had a great get together here with old friends. We sat in the back room, which was great for parties. I would not recommend this for a romantic date. The atmosphere was extremely cozy and funky. The food was delicious and served in good proportions. I enjoyed the variety and uniqueness of the menu. Everyone was very satisfied with thier meals. I normally frequent the more "touristy" area of Thames street and was so happy to find this more out of the way gem. I would definately return here again!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks a bunch for recommending us, love the alliteration, I should put that on a T-shirt!
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious food, lively setting and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Went to eat here with six people. I found the back room a little noisy but fun. The cocktail menu is fun and everyone really loved their food. The beet salad is a little terrine and even though i don't love beets i tried my friend's and wished i had ordered it. The kale cesear salad was perfect, healthy, crunchy and not full of garlic. My companions loved the rib sandwich and I loved the salmon entree with some of the best crispy spinach i have ever had. I tried the espresso mousse for dessert which was decadent and got quickly devoured by the table and my kids had the banana sleeves which had chocolate inside. One said, it might have been the best dessert he ever had! I would go back here each visit for the incredibly good food and our waitress was excellent.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We really appreciate you taking the time to tell the world about us!