“Very unique place with great food”
Review of Salvation Cafe

Salvation Cafe
Ranked #13 of 249 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Salvation Cafe offers fireside dining in the winter and award winning al fresco dining in the Summer. Voted "Best Restaurant, Newport" by Providence Phoenix 2012 & 2013. Our summertime raw bar menu is available in our outdoor tiki bar. Enjoy a lobster roll & our famous Coconut Mojitos or join us for Sangria & Sunsets after a day at the beach! Parking is available in lot behind restaurant.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This place is very artsy. The whole restaurant has a quirky, yet interesting design (even the bathrooms have their own theme). They also have a cozy area outside with a fire pit and big bar. Upstairs they have a nice dining area that resembles a ski lodge (big wooden ceilings and walls). Anyway, the food here is awesome. Nothing too pricy either... Calamari was good and the short rib burger was very tasty and well prepared. I would definitely go back!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Skip the tourist hustle and bustle and head for the blue collar Broadway neighborhood for an imaginative, reasonably priced and delicious meal in the newly renovated and updated, but still funky and charming, Salvation Cafe. We'll be back and my guess is you will be too.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

So full from lunch that we shared two starters and one pudding between us. All were excellent in this eclectic and atmospheric little place.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

....these guys are so great. I have reviewed Salvation before and love it. I just wanted to quickly tell about how they rose above and beyond in a situation where many other restaurants have fallen.
I don't want to give specifics to this story for several reasons, but through a snafu, we weren't able to bring our party of 18 for dinner at the Salvation. The owner Sue made it up to us so graciously and generously that she should be the benchmark for how owners deal with their customers. We truly appreciate it and will be back! Thanks Sue.

1  Thank TrumpetofDestiny
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Thought the standard of my last visit was a one-off - but after last nights experience it clearly was not ..

Last week - I took a group of 7 of my colleagues who were visiting with work from Australia - we went for a couple of early evening drinks and dinner on Wednesday.

On a positive note, the Salvation Cafe provides a really great venue. However, the menu now needs a new lease of life - inject some imagination please. Also, the wait staff need to be re-briefed... during my last couple of visits I've experienced service ranging from indifferent to poor.. if a customer asks questions about the drinks or food - impatient staff should be telling the clients that "it's all listed on the menu...!" - its their job to provide an explanation - and some advice and recommendations - customers dont appreciate negative attitudes !

Oh and by the way - these days the food at the Salvation Cafe rates just about "OK".. its definitely not anything special, remarkable or even noteworthy - actually it rates at about 'average' !

Wasnt sure whether front of house was just ignorant or had a bad attitude but when customers request help to arrange a taxi - they shouldn't be made to feel like the staff are doing them a massive favor... It was a group of visitors from overseas who 1. didn't have a cell phone and 2. didn't know who to call.. and in any case customers shouldnt be made to feel bad for interrupting a staff-drinking session... - further evidence of staff unprofessionalism .. please see Tripadvisor comments from my previous visit... The first time I was happy to give the SC the benefit of the doubt.. but after these two disappointing recent experiences - its obvious that this place is nowhere near as good as it used to be... the food used to be amazing - now its just OK - the service used to be fun, friendly and attentive - now its downright unprofessional - on the good side though - the venue is really cool - but sorry that's not enough for me to go back and be disappointed and dissatisfied a third time..

Salvation Cafe now gets my recommendation of "Dont Bother Try Somewhere Else"

4  Thank ivan i