“Could be great”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Could be great”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am quite critical of good seafood, having grown up in Newport, RI and have eaten some of the best seafood the planet has to offer. With that said, the seafood is fresh and tasty at MIDTOWN. I would go back for the food. The décor is interesting. I think the upstairs room on the second floor is nice, but very sterile and noisy. The first floor joined to the bar and raw bar area appears to have hit the mark for the right ambience, as well as the small but nice open air cocktail area on the 3rd deck. Where the restaurant really is hurting in my humble opinion is the serving staff. Even though efficient with taking orders and delivery of the food, I may have well been waited on by robots......zero interest in the customer and no enthusiasm whatsoever for the new establishment, its colorful past and residing in the heart of old Newport. I guess the staff figures the food and location will do the selling. "It is the whole package" and as Lenny Panaggio the legendary Manager of the Newport Chart House and Moorings used to say. "People can eat good food anywhere....it is really the people that make the experience special".....good luck!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank RSM59

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Best of Three Dinners in Newport”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

By far this restaurant delivered the best meals our group ate during our three night stay in Newport Harbor. We literally bumped into it as we walked southeast along the dock.

We were hungry for some Blue Point oysters and Midtown really delivered on the oysters.

I ordered the beet and goat cheese salad. It was great, lots of red and orange beets.

The previous night I was very disappointed with the twin lobster tail dinner at the Black Pearl. I decided to give Midtown a try with the same dish. I'm glad I did. The tails were moist and plump and a good size. Only came with drawn butter so I really got to taste the lobster on this second attempt. Twin tails is an expensive dish. $32 at Midtown ($35 at Black Pearl). At Midtown I got real value for the price.

Everyone else in our group of 8 were very complimentary of their meals.

On our next visit to Newport we will definitely return to the Midtown Oyster Bar.

New Haven, Connecticut
“All Wrong!!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

As locals we waited eagerly for this to open. Food/portions/pricing/wines by glass are so unimpressive!! Love to sit at bar and have apps but every stool is backless- so not comfortable!! Such a shame, had high hopes- would rather Salsa's be back!!

4 Thank simon09c
Newport, Rhode Island
“Great Seafood in Newport”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had no idea that it had opened only days before our arrival, but we loved the Midtown Oyster Bar so much, that on our 4-day visit to Newport in over ten meals at various restaurants this is the only place we had dinner at twice! The staff is friendly, professional and really welcoming, the beer menu is long and varied and the food is simply fantastic! Whether the amazingly deep flavors of the clam chowder, or the wonderful twist on fish and chips to the best gravlax I've ever eaten. Let me tell you about the gravlax; it was silken, fresh and so subtly cured that we are still raving about it two-weeks later. The wide variety of fresh-from-the-sea oysters was a roadmap of different regions of the Atlantic and all tasted like they had been plucked from the sea moments before being served. If you're passing through Newport for the day and you can have only one meal, this is the place!

• Visited July 2013
Newport, Rhode Island
“Great for bar food and drinks / not great for dinner”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I had been here a few times for drinks and apps - the shrimp were huge and the french fries are great. The drinks were heavy and our view on the third floor balcony was fantastic.

Went a couple nights later for a nice sit down dinner - the place was packed so make reservations. We ordered the Swordfish special and a salad plus an appetizer.

The appetizer was good, but the meals fell wildly short and they weren't cheap.

I'd stay away from this place for dinner, but other food and the bar scene is great.

They will hurt the red parrot if they can get dinner right.

Visited July 2013

Been to Midtown Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!