“Interesting New Bar in Newport”
Review of Midtown Oyster Bar

Midtown Oyster Bar
Ranked #10 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Newport, Rhode Island
“Interesting New Bar in Newport”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My first foray into the Midtown was about a week after opening. I attempted to walk into the right side, I guess the bar side and made my way around the bouncer/greeter to find a seat at the bar. Just as I was going to leave a bartender asked if I would like something. Granted, new restaurants/bars need time to get out the kinks. The second time, this time the dining side, was more pleasant. The Hostess was pleasant and helpful. We ate upstairs. My entrée was tasty my guest was less than enthusiastic. The interior is interesting, spacious with lots of wood. I'm sure they will be packed during the summer.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newport, Rhode Island
“Hugely Disappointing”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We watched the construction every day for more than a year. We read about the owner and his love of food and creating experiences. We got excited, and within the first two weeks, went in with hopes soaring. What a disappointment. The hostess and server were great, kudos staff! The menu--boring, same old stuff that every Newport tourist trap serves up. The drinks were the skimpiest in town... a small glass, lots of ice, two sips and done. The one or two interesting dinner items included a pan seared cod...had possibilities, but with a senseless heap of raw julienned carrots and raw cilantro on top, oversalted and over cooked it was a big disappointment. Server was doing her best, but did not have a lot to work with. On the other hand, the bars were booming. I am pretty sure the place will do great in the summer as a magnet for the drinking crowd...but when it comes to off season when us locals need a great restaurant and a stiff drink, unless things change, you won't be finding us here. So many of us had great expectations of Midtown. Hopefully, it will become something more.

• Visited June 2013