“Quirky but the food was great”
Review of Scales & Shells

Scales & Shells
Ranked #44 of 239 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Syracuse, New York
“Quirky but the food was great”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I think I had the baked scrod. Whatever it was, it was absolutely the best tasting piece of fish I have ever eaten in my life.

Visited August 2012

Cortlandt Manor, New York
“Awesome food!!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We loved this restaurant!!! We got the only table for two on the balcony and the staff treated us like royalty! The pizza with clam appetizer was fantastic!! Loved the staff. They couldn't have been sweeter.

Visited September 2012
Rochester, New York
“Good values, great food”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The fish here was prepared perfectly. Good value, too. I ate the scallop dish that is always on the menu - so many of them! I couldn't finish. Absolutely fresh and delicious. Up Scales is a quieter, more upscale version of Scales & Shells below. We wanted to get out of the heat, so we choose to eat at Upscales which doesn't offer an al fresco option. The atmosphere was clean and modern- nice and quiet, but with friendly service. The wine bar looked really nice, too. If I lived in Newport I probably become a regular at the wine bar.

• Visited September 2012
Boston
“Not worth the wait”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

S&S does not accept reservations. As such, our party of 7 people, submitted our name to the waitlist and was told that the wait would be 45 minutes. A member of our group checked in regularly with the hostess over the course of our 2 hours and 20 minute wait. Much to our horror, the hostess sat another party at the table for which we so patiently waited. When we confronted the hostess, she and the female cook were unprofessional and unapologetic. We left, split our group up to enjoy fantastic meals elsewhere. As former frequent diners of S&S, this behavior was unacceptable and there are far better restaurants to enjoy in Newport.

• Visited September 2012
“Love this place....so fresh”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Only annoying part was the menu on the wall, so you have to get up from the table to view it and stand there to read it. Otherwise, you can't beat the freshness of this fish!! I split grilled lobster and linguini with white clam sauce....out of this world.
Not too expensive either!

• Visited August 2012

Been to Scales & Shells? Share your experiences!