“A taste of Italy in Newport!”

Mamma Luisa Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 269 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were told that this restaurant had the best Italian in Newport and they couldn't have been more right. The atmosphere is so quaint and reminds you of Italy. We did have a reservation and had to leave a credit card to hold the table (this is understandable due to the popularity of this restaurant). The caprese bruschette appetizer was excellent. For main courses, we had the Tagliatelle al Ragu Bolognese, Cotoletta di Pollo, and a special. The table was quiet once the food arrived and there wasn't anything left on any of the plates!

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a very lovely Italian restaurant. It is 2 floors of an old house and is at the "other end" of Thames St; out of the way of the touristy and busy restaurants.. a hidden gem, actually. The food is wonderful, from the homemade bread to the pasta. We split an Italian dessert (forget the name of it) but it was delicious. The service couldn't have been better. We will definitely go back. I highly recommend!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed May 20, 2019

We were lucky enough to eat here on our last night in Newport. Coming from the NY metro area, I never expect great Italian food far from my area, but Mamma Luisa is special. The decor is very pleasant and the service was superb by a young lady (didn't get her name, but she drove a Honda Fit).lol. I order Bolognese often and I must say, this was the best I've had. If you visit Newport, make this restaurant a must.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

This is not the place for a “slice” or a “square.” This is serous real Italian straight from Bologna. Though the veal and the in house fresh made ricotta gnocchi with an amazing red sauce topped with Arugula was impressive, it was the wine selections that caught my eye.
Have a cocktail at your favorite tavern and then drop into this homelike hideaway for the real Italian deal.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 15, 2019

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit on a cold February Monday. The restaurant, in a Victorian house on lower Thames Street, was warm and cozy. Service was excellent. But the pasta! The tagliatelle were tender, and cooked to perfection, but the Bolognese sauce was out of this world. I may have finally ended my quest for the best Bolognese ever!

Date of visit: February 2019

Been to Mamma Luisa Restaurant? Share your experiences!