“Wonderful food in a "homestyle" setting”

Mamma Luisa Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 244 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Had a lovely dinner here, in one of the dining rooms upstairs, which only had 4 tables. Loved that we were dining in an actual house. Very charming. We started with the Insalata Esotica, which was wonderful. I had the Garganelle Bresciola, which was delicious, and hubby had the Cotoletta di Pollo, which he enjoyed also. Nice wine list, great service. Would definitely go back next time we are in Newport.

There are newer reviews for Mamma Luisa Restaurant

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Words won't do this restaurant justice. From the moment I walked in the door I felt as though I was back in Italy. Visit and let the food do the talking!

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We have dined at Mamma Luisa's several times on trips to Newport, most recently this past weekend. As usual, the food and service were superb. First, the restaurant is very charming, located in an old home on Thames Street, divided into four quaint dining rooms all decorated with authentic items from Italy. It was very cozy in there this rainy weekend, and even though the weather was poor, the restaurant was busy. Make note, it's important to make a reservation at Mamma's so as not to be disappointed.
We ordered the Goat Cheese Bruschette and Prosciutto E Melone appetizers, both perfectly delicious. For our entrees, we ordered Tagliatelle Al Ragu Bolognese and the Bombette Pomodoro E Rucola, a homemade spinach and ricotta gnocchi. These are favorites of ours that we have ordered several times, each consistently delicious.
We topped this off with our favorite dessert here; a berry topped pie with chantilly cream filling and a shortbread crust. We love it so much, we could not share, but had to each order our own!
The food at Mamma Luisa's is authentic and consistently delicious.. On one of our trips we brought our son-in-laws grandparents with us, both born and raised in Italy. They loved the food and atmosphere so much, they wound up talking to the owner in the kitchen!
This has become our favorite restaurant in Newport for many reasons. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were in Newport this past weekend. The highlight of this very rainy weekend was our dinner at Mamma Luisa's. I loved everything about it. The quaint, well decorated restaurant which is a house with 4 small rooms was charming. It reminded me of the little places in the North end of Boston. Our waiter, Pete was very attentive…but the food…amazing. (Just the bread is worth the trip). All the pasta is homemade. I had the special- a lobster pasta dish. My husband had a veal dish. I honestly cannot find one bad thing about our meal or evening. It is a bit pricey- but I'd rather spend a bit more and have a fabulous meal. I am 100% Italian…I know Italian food…and this is authentic and delicious. GO!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

This Italian restaurant has authentic Italian food and it is delicious! It's a quaint restaurant with not only excellent food, but with excellent service as well. The pasta is homemade, the bread is fresh with a delicious crispy crust. A truly enjoyed meal, from start to finish.

2  Thank sher777