“In a town with many great restaurants, we love this place the most.”

Mamma Luisa Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Normally I wouldn't write a second review of a restaurant which I had visited within the last year but I just have to say that this place is so good, I just can't let it pass without adding once again that I think this is one the best Italian restaurants I've ever visited. We ended up at the exact same table upstairs with the exact same waiter, and that was just what we were hoping for. The hand made pasta and sauces are to die for. We let the waiter pick the wine within a price range, and he hit the nail on the head again, just like he did the last time we were here. Charming and well educated man who spent some time in Boston over the years and has now brought his knowledge of wines back to Newport and to Mamma Luisa's. We even decided to split a dessert and that was great. With all the great restaurants in Newport left to try, I may never get to them all if I keep coming back here.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

In addition to the regular menu, Mama Luisa also offers some excellent specials. On this particular Saturday I ordered the black pasta (squid ink) with seared scallops. Pasta was perfect and the scallops were just right. Two others in my party had the grilled swordfish. Both were very happy! Save room for dessert. Tiramisu was outstanding!! If you stay right in Newport you will still need to drive to the restaurant. Mama Luisa’s is almost at the end of Thames St. Parking is the real trick. The website claims parking in rear. However there is only space for 4 cars. Parking on the street is also impossible. Many of the streets in the area have “restricted parking.” I did find an area a few blocks away (little more than 5 minute walk) without the dreaded “restricted parking” signs. If you are driving down Thames (away from Newport Center) go past Mama Luisa’s to the next stop sign. That’s Morton Ave. Turn left you will see Morton Park on your right. Go to the end of Morton Ave, Spring St/Coggeshall Ave, make a right and park along the park.

1  Thank bollwage
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just a short walk (if you like walking, since there is very little parking) from the middle of Newport. Not a really big restaurant from the outside.

We were a bit early, but taken right away. Up the narrow and steep stairs (hold on to the railings, especially going down and watch the header so you don't conk your head if you are tall). Service was great.

Wine selection was that of Italian, but really some nice choices. I had their pasta "bolognese" because someone reviewed it. It was really very good with the right spicy flavor. My wife had a fish dish which she really enjoyed. Portions are a good size, so be careful with the appetizers or delicious desserts.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

One of the greatest evenings in a restaurants I have ever had. The food and the waiter was AMAZING! I was so pleased from the moment we stepped in the door till we left. The server was outstanding. He knew the menu and wine list very well and was able to give recommendations. We felt like we were welcome and at home, never rushed to finish our meal. We went through two lovely bottles of wine and each were matched for what we were eating. We finished with a lovely sherry that complimented the desserts perfectly. Highly recommend getting reservation as they are a very popular restaurant , however they never felt busy very relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Mamma Luisa restaurant. Every course was excellent. I felt like I was eating at a restaurant in Italy - so authentic. Loved the proscuitto appetizer and my Seafood pasta entree was delicious and oh so fresh tasting!