“Excellent Daily Specials!”

Mamma Luisa Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Excellent Daily Specials!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

In addition to the regular menu, Mama Luisa also offers some excellent specials. On this particular Saturday I ordered the black pasta (squid ink) with seared scallops. Pasta was perfect and the scallops were just right. Two others in my party had the grilled swordfish. Both were very happy! Save room for dessert. Tiramisu was outstanding!! If you stay right in Newport you will still need to drive to the restaurant. Mama Luisa’s is almost at the end of Thames St. Parking is the real trick. The website claims parking in rear. However there is only space for 4 cars. Parking on the street is also impossible. Many of the streets in the area have “restricted parking.” I did find an area a few blocks away (little more than 5 minute walk) without the dreaded “restricted parking” signs. If you are driving down Thames (away from Newport Center) go past Mama Luisa’s to the next stop sign. That’s Morton Ave. Turn left you will see Morton Park on your right. Go to the end of Morton Ave, Spring St/Coggeshall Ave, make a right and park along the park.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank bollwage

• Korean first
North Carolina
“Oh, so good.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just a short walk (if you like walking, since there is very little parking) from the middle of Newport. Not a really big restaurant from the outside.

We were a bit early, but taken right away. Up the narrow and steep stairs (hold on to the railings, especially going down and watch the header so you don't conk your head if you are tall). Service was great.

Wine selection was that of Italian, but really some nice choices. I had their pasta "bolognese" because someone reviewed it. It was really very good with the right spicy flavor. My wife had a fish dish which she really enjoyed. Portions are a good size, so be careful with the appetizers or delicious desserts.

• Visited May 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

One of the greatest evenings in a restaurants I have ever had. The food and the waiter was AMAZING! I was so pleased from the moment we stepped in the door till we left. The server was outstanding. He knew the menu and wine list very well and was able to give recommendations. We felt like we were welcome and at home, never rushed to finish our meal. We went through two lovely bottles of wine and each were matched for what we were eating. We finished with a lovely sherry that complimented the desserts perfectly. Highly recommend getting reservation as they are a very popular restaurant , however they never felt busy very relaxed atmosphere.

Visited May 2013
Delray Beach, Florida
“Fantastic Italian...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Mamma Luisa restaurant. Every course was excellent. I felt like I was eating at a restaurant in Italy - so authentic. Loved the proscuitto appetizer and my Seafood pasta entree was delicious and oh so fresh tasting!

Visited April 2013
Massachusetts
“A Taste of Italy in Newport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Mama Luisa’s is down the far end of Thames St. However, that did not deter crowds. This very popular restaurant is an old house converted into a restaurant with separate cozy dining rooms on two floors.

When we arrived, we were disappointed when told that they had no availability and unfortunately we did not have a reservation (highly recommended). However, the Host went out of his way to find us a table, even coming outside to find us. (Thank You, Thank You!)

We began our meal with Prosciutto and Melon which was suburb. For an entrée, I got the Tagliatelle al Pesce (ribbon pasta with shrimp & scallops) which was very fresh and tasty. My husband got the Lamb Chop special which was tender and full of rosemary flavor. Service was excellent but I have to say I did feel bad for the waitstaff who had to keep climbing the stairs all night.

Some things to be aware of;

Don’t go in the mood for a martini. They serve beer and wine only. However, they have an extensive wine list and several choices by the glass.

The stairs to the second floor are very steep and the dining room upstairs is tight with tables very close together, so don’t plan on having a private conversation
They were doing some construction on the second floor, so they may offer more room in the near future.

• Visited April 2013