“WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2013

One of the greatest evenings in a restaurants I have ever had. The food and the waiter was AMAZING! I was so pleased from the moment we stepped in the door till we left. The server was outstanding. He knew the menu and wine list very well and was able to give recommendations. We felt like we were welcome and at home, never rushed to finish our meal. We went through two lovely bottles of wine and each were matched for what we were eating. We finished with a lovely sherry that complimented the desserts perfectly. Highly recommend getting reservation as they are a very popular restaurant , however they never felt busy very relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Mamma Luisa restaurant. Every course was excellent. I felt like I was eating at a restaurant in Italy - so authentic. Loved the proscuitto appetizer and my Seafood pasta entree was delicious and oh so fresh tasting!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Mama Luisa’s is down the far end of Thames St. However, that did not deter crowds. This very popular restaurant is an old house converted into a restaurant with separate cozy dining rooms on two floors.

When we arrived, we were disappointed when told that they had no availability and unfortunately we did not have a reservation (highly recommended). However, the Host went out of his way to find us a table, even coming outside to find us. (Thank You, Thank You!)

We began our meal with Prosciutto and Melon which was suburb. For an entrée, I got the Tagliatelle al Pesce (ribbon pasta with shrimp & scallops) which was very fresh and tasty. My husband got the Lamb Chop special which was tender and full of rosemary flavor. Service was excellent but I have to say I did feel bad for the waitstaff who had to keep climbing the stairs all night.

Some things to be aware of;

Don’t go in the mood for a martini. They serve beer and wine only. However, they have an extensive wine list and several choices by the glass.

The stairs to the second floor are very steep and the dining room upstairs is tight with tables very close together, so don’t plan on having a private conversation
They were doing some construction on the second floor, so they may offer more room in the near future.

1  Thank DodgerMom668
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My Husband and I just returned from a weekend in Newport. We had dinner on Friday evening at Mamma Luisa. The menu is simple yet sophisticated with all the essential Italian classics. We started with the antipasto for two which was plentiful and fresh. I had Penne Del Pastore which was cooked perfectly al dente. My Husband had the Spaghetti Carbonara which was also very tasty. We finished our meal with a cappuccino. All in all we had a very nice time at this charming little place, and would return. The service was attentive and the atmosphere was cozy. Most importantly the food was reasonably priced and great quality.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were searching for desserts because we just completed a terrible dinner at another resturant. The desserts were absolutely delicious. The service was great.

1  Thank PattyJ2007