“Great small place to eat”

Mamma Luisa Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2012

be sure to make a reservation. great Italian food, friendly, personal service

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Just down the street from the best French restaurant in Newport is the best Italian restaurant in the city! It is located in a tiny house on Thames Street, which looks like it could be your Italian grandmother's home! We were a party of five dining on a frigid Sunday evening in January, and the restaurant was filled to capacity. From the appetizers to the entrees and dessert, everything is made from scratch and absolutely delicious! The portions are not huge, so this allows you to select something from each of the several courses on the menu. We will certainly be dining at Mamma Luisa's during our next trip to Newport!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I believe this restaurant is in Newport not Providence.
Service was great, our waitress treated us like family. Upon entering we were greated with warm smiles and a genuine welcome. I had veal osso buco,and my wife had the gnocchi, both recommended and both outstanding. The restaurant occupies the downstairs of a corner house. The atmosphere is homey...go figure. Prices were a little on high side, but comensurate with the quality of the food. Would certainly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

January is the coldest month in Newport. Not the weather, which has been quite mild. January is difficult because many of our favorite restaurants close up until Valentine's Day.
Fortunately Mama Luisa's stays open.

Last year at this time I had one of the best soups I had ever tasted at Mama Luisa's. While not quite up to that mark the leek and potato soup was delicious. Thick with the green parts of the leek and a few potatoes, it is was superb.

The ravioli with mushrooms and spec was also great. It was simple and elegant, Also many chef these day when they used smoked pork either bacon, pancetta, salt back or spec over do it, so all you taste is the bacon. This was perfectly balanced. The sauce was so simple and well balanced that you almost did not notice the complexities. Just lovely.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Everytime my sister and I go to Newport for a getaway, we always make certain to get a reservation at Mamma Luisa. As soon as you enter the front door, the aroma assures you that you're in the right place. The atmosphere is cozy like a small Italian house, and has 3 little dining rooms, one of which is upstairs.
We like to start our meal with a glass of good dry wine and fresh bread with olive oil. I chose a delicious salad which had mixed greens, endive, radicchio, dates, glazed walnuts, grapes and goat cheese. It was so good! My very favorite entree is the taglitelle with Bolognese sauce. OMG......heavenly every time. My sister chose the butternut squash ravioli with a creamy sauce which she really enjoyed as well. Dessert the last time was a dense chocolate cake with a surprising kick of cayenne.
This place is a gem but have a reservation and allow time to find a parking spot.

1  Thank CtCatten

Been to Mamma Luisa Restaurant? Share your experiences!