“Great Experience”

Ranked #113 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Just had dinner at the Windward Coastal Grill located at the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Goat Island in Newport Rhode Island. Very nice experience. Dinner was wonderful.
Our server, Stacey, made the evening truly enjoyable. Very personable young woman with a thorough knowledge of the menu. She is a great asset to the Hyatt's restaurant. Pan seared scallops were large and tender and the steak special with grilled shrimp over risotto was perfectly cooked. Calamari appetizer was terrific.The restaurant was not crowded. A very relaxing evening, and a beautiful view of the harbor.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Good: My wife thought the scallops were very good. The aspargus and spinach that adorned my risotto were done perfectly. The service was attentive and fairly prompt. The Goat Island location is lovely.

The Bad: My minestrone was underseasoned and insipid, almost all pasta and almost no vegetable. My chicken was flavorful, but somewhat overcooked. The portions, especially for the price, were underwhelming. Also for the price, there was no salad or side vegetable included in my wife's entree. Also, the website's menu selection was quite ample, but when we arrived, only a fraction of the selections were listed. I understand that this is low season, and maybe a more limited selection makes sense, but there should be some truth in advertising.

We won't be back.

1  Thank Span_pro
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Since we were on a romantic get away what could be better than a romantic dinner. The wait staff was attentive but not overly so. The food was great and the atmosphere was just what we wanted, relaxed and comfortable. Even the other guests in the room were friendly and warm. A great romantic night.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We didn't expect much after arriving to fine we were the only ones in the entire restaurant. We assumed the kitchen would of "off" because of the lack of diners. Boy, were we wrong! We've all heard of bacon wrapped scallops but you have never tasted anything as delectable as the pork belly and scallop appetizer on the Windwards menu. It was truly one of the most fantastic tastes I've ever had in my mouth. My husband had the skate which was perfectly done and I had the tenderloin which was also simply delicious.

After the wonderful food and service (Very generous pours on their wines) we felt like we had had a private room with our own chef. We will go back often!

1  Thank Reggiephx
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Everything was cooked to perfection. Excellent ingredients and large portions. I don't usually like home fries but the fingerling potatoes - their version of hash browns -were excellent. All this with a lovely view of the water.