“Worth a Stop... or Two”

Smoke House - Temporarily Closed
Ranked #28 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch
Description: We have closed for the season! Looking forward for more barbecue and cocktails with you in the Spring of 2018!
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have walked by this place for years, and thought that it was too much of a shack to try, but my tastes have changed in that I tend to gravitate now towards downscale places that have been around a while. It's a winning formula.

First of all, the atmosphere here is great. It does look like a BBQ shack in the Carolinas, but with a Newport feel. We were seated promptly...at 8pm...on a Saturday...in season...without reservations (that they dont take anyway). The bar was active and that clientele averaged 25 years in age. Some of the drinks sounded interesting and we tried some the server could describe - L'Burg Lemondade and Makers Mark Smash. Worth ordering.

There were four of us so we could sample several items. My crew would recommend - hog wings, fried pickles, chopped salad with BBQ chicken, ribs. My brisket was a little dry for my taste but sauces brought it back to life. Portions sizes warrant doggie bags.

I make my own BBQ so maybe I am a snob about it. I would give it 3 stars, but the others insist on five, so we average four. Would go again.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Yep. This is fantastic. Went for lunch. This is my second time there. The drinks are reasonable priced, and mason jar sized. The food is fantastic (no stomach issues) and just keeps coming! Great place.

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We were walking along on a nice May Day - we prefer to eat outside if the weather is nice - and appreciated the open air ambiance of this restaurant. The drinks were amazing. Love the glasses, fan/lights were very cool. I had the crab and corn chowder which was ok - and shared the fried pickles w husband. Yum! He had the tasting plate which had some absolutely amazing things on it. He thought the coleslaw could have used some bite and I thought the cornbread was too sweet but we liked it enough we came back the next night for drinks and some more food.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Although the Oktoberfest at the Yachting Center was great I decided to head to the Smoke House for a place to eat, drink and sit. The bartender Jim was very professional and did a great job. The food was fresh, hot and tasty. The best BBQ in Newport.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great bar and great cocktails. Didn't try the food but looked good, but a nice bar and mason jar cocktails were amazing