“Great food”
Review of The Mooring

The Mooring
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mooring is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: America's Cup Ave.
Description: The ideal embodiment of Newport dining: the freshest seafood, al fresco seating, expansive harbor views, and warm hospitality. Our award-winning wine list is one of the most acclaimed in New England.
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Fantastic experience from the moment we walked in until we left. The people care about each patron as if they were a friend or family member.

There are newer reviews for The Mooring

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Anyone who has dealt with a food allergy understands the difficulty that comes along while eating out. However, during my latest experience at The Mooring in Newport, RI, I was constantly reassured that I was being taken care of and was guaranteed a relaxed and enjoyable experience. While calling to make a reservation the afternoon prior to dinner, I was asked a few common questions expected of any up and running establishment, and then one that shocked me, "Are there any food allergies that we should be aware of?". To this I responded, "YES!" and proceeded to thank them for asking, as such few restaurants do. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by a friendly hosted, seated, and then introduced to a young, bubbly waitress who then, once more, assured me that she knew about my allergies and that the chef had already been alerted. I then ordered my dinner and for the first time in years, I was able to eat my meal without once sending it back to the kitchen or having any doubts about the fact that I was safe. I would highly recommend The Mooring to any food allergic person looking to have some peace of mind when ordering and eating a fantastic meal on the water. The food was great, the service exceptional, and the heightened awareness of customer satisfaction was perfection.

1  Thank dpenney
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We had dinner at this wonderful restaurant. It was a bit pricey$, but well worth it!
Mussels were tasty and the drinks were quenching. I found the staff very attentive and catering to our needs. Fine dining in a fine city!

Reviewed June 22, 2010

My son (5 yo) has life threatening allergy (anaphylaxis) to gluten in food (wheat, oats, rye). During our recent stay at the Hyatt Regency, our concierge confirmed for us that the Mooring accommodates gluten free diet after calling them. Upon entering the restaurant, we specifically told the host we made a reservation at the Mooring because of our gluten free diet need. She said they definitely can accommodate gluten free diet and advised us to tell the server. When we ordered, we asked for gluten free hamburger meat and fries for my son which server assured us would be gluten free. Now we are not always so trusting to such representation. But the Moorings is a very nice, rather upscale establishment so we gave it a try.

Half an hour after finishing the meal, back in our room, my son started to have systemic reaction to his food consumed at the Moorings. He was gagging, couldn't breath, and broke out in hives everywhere. He had to be transported in ambulance to the nearby emergency room.

Three hours later in emergency room, I called the Moorings to advise what happened so that they can make improvements. Food allergy is very serious. I would hate for anyone to go through what my 5 yo and family went through especially on a vacation. The manager listened but did not apologize or show empathy in anyway. He called it a miscommunication. I politely told him of communication at least on three levels (concierge, host & server) and the assurance we received. It is just a failure on their part to take food allergy seriously. He said he would investigate by talking to people involved and call me next day. Of course, he did not have a decency to call to follow through his words.

Despite telling people they can assure gluten free diet, this restaurant completely failed to do so. It's completely irresponsible to put them selves out as being able to provide special diet when they have no system in place to make it happen. They are lucky that my son is alive and I am not a litigation happy person.

DO NOT EAT AT THIS PLACE IF YOU HAVE FOOD ALLERGY. THEY DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

7  Thank runfeelbetter
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I have to say, after reading the negative reviews I was a little worried about eating here but Im glad I didnt listen to them! We had made a reservation for 7:30 and although the restaurant was busy, we were seated right away at a table by the window as we had asked for. The waitress was very friendly and the service was great. The food was delicious and we really enjoyed our meal, I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone going to Neport.

Been to The Mooring? Share your experiences!