“Outstanding dinner in an outstanding setting”
Review of The Mooring

The Mooring
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mooring is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 236 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: America's Cup Ave.
Description: The ideal embodiment of Newport dining: the freshest seafood, al fresco seating, expansive harbor views, and warm hospitality. Our award-winning wine list is one of the most acclaimed in New England.
Paramus, NJ
“Outstanding dinner in an outstanding setting”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

The Mooring in Newport, RI, was an absolute treat. We were fortunate to get a great table out on the deck, overlooking the harbor, shortly before sunset. Our waitress was attentive and responsive, while not being intrusive. When she saw my wife scoop a few cubes of ice into her white wine, our waitress appeared moments later, without being asked, with a glass of ice cubes. When she observed me taking a picture of my wife, she volunteered to take a picture of the two of us at our table. A raised finger brought another glass of wine. It is a pleasure to receive this kind of service in today's restaurant scene.
Now for the food! What a delicious meal all around. We started with an appetizer of mussels zuppa and they were perfect. I had the Ahi Tuna Au Poivre and it was done to perfection, white on the outside, crusted with peppers, and the rare tuna color within. My wife opted for the Lobster Pappardelle and raved about how delicious everything turned out.
This is now the new benchmark in our lives for other seafood restaurants to reach. I believe I will have to travel back to Newport to get the likes of this meal again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
“Great dining experience right in the heart of Newport's marina district”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

With only 3 days in Newport, we relied on TripAdvisor & our hotel concierge to recommend a good vale for dinner & were not disappointed. We had a table on he veranda overlooking the marina, quite nice despite a rainy evening. The clam chowder met all
expectations; hearty with lots of
fresh clams and chunks of potato. The Lobster over Papardelle was by far the best dish of our group. It
was 3/4 of a lobster over wide noodles in a creamy seafood sauce...outstanding. The Sole Francese was a generous portion that was light and tasty over a bed of jasmine rice; also excellent. Generous drinks filled out an outstanding meal. All in all, a great value for the price

East Greenwich
“Delicious food, beautiful atmosphere, friendly and knowledgeable waitstaff.”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I ate here tonight and it as good as any seafood restaurant we've been to. We shared raw littlenecks, as they were out of cherrystones, and they were sweet and fresh. We then shared a "bag of doughnuts," which are seafood fritters, chock full of shrimp, lobster meat, and crab. We're used to traditioinal clamcakes, but these were much less doughy. Scrumptious. For entrees, my husband had the lobster papardelle, which was amazing. My seafood salad was also delicious -- a piece of salmon, a lobster tail and two shrimp served with homemade salsa on top of arugula and dressed with a vinegar reduction. For dessert we had the cheese board, which was huge. The menu said that it was for a minimum of two people, but we noticed later that the couple at the next table had a much smaller one (maybe an appetizer?), which would have been better. We also wanted to try the "New York-style" cheesecake, which was not really New York-style, but was the light and fluffy type. Good, though. All in all, we waddled out of there two very satisfied people and will definitely return! Be sure to make a reservation so that you can sit outside. It's lovely out there, with a view of the docks.

• Visited August 2011
“Great views and service”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Sit inside or out and experience a lovely view of the water, very attentive and professional, knowledgable service, good menu choices. We liked the deconstructed caesar( full romaine leaves) and chopped salads, lobster salad on croissant and burger was Perfectly cooked. We would skip the lettuce shrimp wrap, sauce was good but the baby shrimp are creepy.

Connecticut
“Awesome lobster”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I dined at the Mooring last Thursday with my son. We were a little early, so the restaurant was mostly empty. We sat outside by the marina. Service was prompt and attentive and all my requests on behalf of my son were met without exception. I ordered and received an uber-fresh 2 pound lobster while my son received his meal exactly as requested. When the waitress noticed a pickle on his plate (heaven forbid!), she whisked it away behind her back before he could see it. Well done Devon!
I can only comment on what we ate, but the food was lovely and the service great. I would definitely recommend The Mooring.

• Visited August 2011

Been to The Mooring? Share your experiences!