“Its Number One for a Reason”

Restaurant Bouchard
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Bouchard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: At Bouchard Restaurant, a warm relaxed ambiance and gracious welcome signals your arrival. The restaurant serves fine French cuisine in a 1785 Georgian-style house.
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon in Newport and ate a number of great restaurants while we were there. With that said, Resraurant Bouchard will forever hold a special place in our minds.

The ambiance of Restaurant Bouchard is par to none. They truly understand the meaning of fine dining. The room is small and quaint with nice music and lighting. Our waiter was very polite, knowledgeable and even surprised us with two glasses of sparkling grape juice with dessert (we had declined wine...very thoughtful of him).

Now the food - Wow. I have the Veal Chop prepared Oscar-style. Hands-down, one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Prepared perfectly and with crisp asparagus. My wife had the pork tenderloin (which she also still talks about to this day).

To cap things off we ordered their grand marnier souflle. Unbelievable. A real souflle in which you can still taste the egg. They poke it at your table and cover it in a vanilla cream sauce.

All in all, if you want a truly memorable experience, look no further than this place.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

After having visited Bouchard's for our 4th time I was expecting the same tremendous food and service. When I say service I refer to the staff, typically what yours should expect is to be met at the door by miss polyester ( the owners wife Sahara) fake at every level unless you are covered in diamonds or pull up in a Bentley. Then you will be seated by very cordial but reserved secondary staff members. Almost as if they are instructed not to show a pleasant side and act like robots. Although underneath you can feel the warmth of their souls dying to come out . After your seated and in all of our visits our waiter Dan reintroduces himself with a jubilant smile and professionalism always on his game and will explain the cuisine as if he prepared it himself. He is the best of the best. On this occasion like the last one we rented a room from them also, checked in two hours before our scheduled sitting and went to the room to relax. Upon entering the restaurant for a 6:00 reservation there were only two other couples inside. The owners wife greater us with a stare and no communication at all and shuffled us off to the under staff to be seated. ( definitely a pecking order here at this place) Dan as usual welcomed us with a grand smile and his typical comforting elegance almond with his input on the nights specials and his recommendations based on your particular palate. Throughout the meal I kept getting rude looks from miss polyester not sure as to what was wrong, the staff of assistant waitresses stood very close by eager to assist when needed but you feel they are literally on top of you. The evening progressed with what I would describe as decent food, decent service but an atmosphere so rigid and uptight I could not get a grip on as to why. Perhaps the rain I thought. After paying a $ 250.00 dinner bill and a $ 220.00 room rental bill we got up to depart. To my dismay and have way to the door I was verbally attached by the owners wife . Quote and I front of everyone in attendance and loud enough everyone could hear said " don't you ever come into my restaurant dressed in jeans again" wow the place went dead silent, you could hear a pin drop. I was shocked, responding to her " is that why you stared me down all night? No response from her and not looking for a confrontation my wife and I exited. Taking two or three minutes to think about what had happened my wife called the front desk and requested to speak with her, this time she was even more belligerent and it ended up in her hanging up the phone. 20 minutes later she was knocking at our door to offer and apology, extending a bottle of champagne and two glasses. Oh, I thought, well everyone has a bad day, I don't agree with the treatment but at least she was trying to make amends. However being somewhat familiar with quality champagne and some how thinking it would be a decent bottle I was even more shocked to. See it was an $ 8.99 cheap as they come bottle. So after spending $ 500.00 for what's supposed to be the number # 1 restaurant in Newport I would now put it on the bottom. If she did not accept Jeans ( $ 185.00 jeans which are accepted in the best NYC places and even in Paris ) she had the opportunity to tell me upon arrival and at that point I would have completely understood and left without delay, she could have even followed me outside to explain the policy as in all of the last visits I wore jeans. Too bad, the rest of the staff is exceptional

2  Thank Rwzav1
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We have dined at Bouchard at least three times in the past couple of years and each visit was a wonderful experience. It's a place for fine dining with great food and wine choices and knowledgeable staff. A friend just asked for a recommendation on where to have a special meal in Newport and my first thought was to recommend Restaurant Bouchard. We are moving to the area soon and plan to visit often. I still remember the veal oscar I had there last summer.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Food was fantastic. I had the restuffed lobster and my boyfriend the filet. Max helped us pair wines and did a fantastic job! It was a little "upscale" atmosphere as well as clientele. However, the eavesdropping proved to be fantastic entertainment! Highly recommend!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Despite excellent food, and a fantastic wine list, the restaurant itself is dated and stuffy and the service we received from the maitre d' and from our waiter was far from welcoming. When we were finally given the menus and were asked whether we would like any wine, it was followed by a comment "if you're old enough!" (For my sister and I, being in our late 20s, this was a bit of a shock! Perhaps he was used to an older clientele).

The icing on the cake though came when we were given the bill and 'service not included' was hand written in large letters at the end followed by a suggested service charge of either 15% or 20% calculated for us to the cent! Once we let the waiter know that we didn't require change, he then checked the amount in front of us. Having seen that we had left a little over 20% (so that the total was rounded to the nearest note), he then turned on the charm and assured us that he would love to see again should we return to Newport. This all seemed rather slimy. An unfortunate end to a lovely meal. The food was really memorable but the disappointing service will be what sticks in our mind.

3  Thank citygirl98_11