“Reaching Too Far”
Review of The Spiced Pear

The Spiced Pear
Reserve with OpenTable
The Spiced Pear is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 234 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cliff Avenue
Description: The Spiced Pear’s primary dining room features an open-air kitchen, grand fireplace, and views of the Atlantic Ocean and Easton’s Beach. Well known for its signature ‘New England Tasting Menu’, the restaurant features a symphony of six or nine courses of local New England fare each night in addition to an a la carte menu featuring Continental cuisine.
Newport RI
“Reaching Too Far”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We haven't been back to the Chanler for almost two years, after having some seriously unsatisfactory experiences with pretentious chefs (Richard Hamilton and Kyle Ketchum) who didn't quite live up to their own inflated sense of "greatness".
So, after hearing that the latest star chef had departed and the dining was better, we gave it a try with another couple. It was a mixed bag.
The pretentiousness has gone, but the prices remain too high for the value received. It's a good/average restaurant in Newport that is trying to promote itself as one of the best. It's not. They are an adequate hotel restaurant, but with a long way to go to be a memorable experience.
We had two bottles of wine we had to return, spoiled. We had luke warm soup, salad greens that had seen better days, entrees that were variable between excellent and just ok, and desserts that were fine, but not memorable. All this for a price that is among the highest in local restaurants.
The service was barely adequate, the server tried hard, but was simply inexperienced and not ready for a fine dining venue. The setting is wonderful, great views (we were there before daylight saving ended), though the furnishings are beginning to show some need for replacement.
Altogether, it is a big step forward from the former "circus" they had here, but they need to get their prices aligned with their level of food and service. We may try again next summer, for the outdoor dining at lunch, if they continue to improve their value.

StephenChanler, Manager at The Spiced Pear, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear LocalObserver,

From all of us at The Chanler and the Spiced Pear, we thank your for your candid account of your dining experience with us. We are happy to hear that you feel the pretentious atmosphere has departed, as that has been a goal of of ours this year. For the areas we fell short, we actually had recognized them earlier in the season, and have taken steps to correct them.

In particular, we apologize for the inadequate service and wine experience. You may be excited to hear that at the end of this summer season, we began a full audit and rebuilding of a new wine program that concluded in November and also in November hired a new service manager with several decades of experience to ensure proper training and service from all of our staff. It is our hopes that you visit us soon - we are confident you will not be disappointed again!

The Staff at The Chanler at Cliff Walk and Spiced Pear Restaurant

usa
“Won't be back”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Where to begin!!! First off, the place is gorgeous!!! I will give it that. The view from the table was beautiful. We went there on a wonderful sunny day for lunch and the outside was closed for the season but it was a very warm day, so when we walked in we saw there were some people sitting at tables outside, and no one was sitting inside, so when we were asked which table we wanted, I asked if we could sit outside and the man said those people really were not suppose to be put out there but we could if we really wanted too. Well after he said that I said no we will eat in here!!!!

Me and my husband first ordered Tea with our lunch. Were we are from, you order a tea and you only pay for the first tea...refills are free..NOT HERE. The girl kept saying would you like another tea and we said yes. Well we got the bill and had $16 just for tea!!!!!

Then the food. My husband got a fish sandwich and I got a bacon cheeseburger well done.. When the food came I was cutting my burger in half and I noticed it was bleeding. When I cut it in half the middle was raw, not rare, but raw!!!!! And not just parts of the inside, the whole inside of the burger!!!! I sent it back for another one and in the mean time, my husband ate by himself so his food wouldn't get cold. By the time my food came back he was done and I ate by myself. We felt they should take a portion of our bill off or even comp my meal. THEY OFFERED NOTHING. We got a bill for $50 not including tip for 4 teas, fish sandwich, cheeseburger and two fries!!!! Will never go back!!!

Newport, Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Was just okay.”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

The food was just okay.. certain items were good but the shrimp was chewy, the foie gras was absolutely not worth $21. The portions were very small and not presented in an attractive manner. All of the meals are ala carte, there are not side salads or vegetables even listed on the menu as an option to order with your meal. The service was very disappointing. I had to ask 3 different time for water, each time my glass sat empty for a while. I understand the "dining experience" where the staff really lets the guest take their time, but I still expect to be checked on once in a while. If I go to a restaurant where my meal is $374 for 4 people I expect the shrimp cooked correctly, the portions to be satisfying and the service to be impeccable. I would not return to the is restaurant. The atmosphere is beautiful,the bar is terrific but that is the best thing I can note about The Spiced Pear.

Newport, RI
“Great for a Drink”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Tripadvisor reviews are pretty spot on with Spiced Pear. You can't beat the setting, it's beautiful. Both the outside bar and inside are great for a drink. We had a nice experience from through appetizers, but the main course was less than desirable. I had expected so much more, but the courses were covered in sauce. Not very good. We had a good service experience, but Newport is full of professional waiters that could shine at the Pear. Overall, we wouldn't go back for dinner, but drinks, anytime!

Boston, Massachusetts
“DO NOT RECOMMEND”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

What a major disappointment, on my birthday nonetheless. Arrived 2 hours early for our dinner reservation deliberately in order to relax with cocktails on the lawn. Wedding party - NO. We ended up in the lounge and relaxing or service were the opposite of what we received. The male bartender was the most as-sine individual I have ever encountered: Inept and unkempt. After our second round of martinis we decided to order an appetizer or two. After being handed the wrong menu, twice, we asked if they had a cheese plate. Well, of course he couldn't tell us what cheeses were offered. 45 minutes later we asked if it would be arriving shorty. Oh wait, he forgot to order it for us! 20 minutes later it arrives and the 3 of us were served the plate with no side plates, napkins or flatware. I had to ask 3 times, only to end up with a steak knife - forget napkins, forks or side plates. He must have been so busy attending to one other couple at the bar. All 3 of us really enjoyed sharing a knife, using our fingers and imagining where we'd wipe our fingers next. We decided to see if we could be seated for dinner early; yes, of course. After being handed our unimaginative menus, 2 of us opted for the tasting menu. We were told we could not unless the 3rd ordered from the tasting menu as well. Unfortunately, she was not hungry enough for more than 1 course, so we were declined (which I'm quite happy happened due to our actual dishes). 2 of us ordered the lobster bisque (which was brown and distasteful) and the scallop entree (which were both returned twice due to being extremely over salted and unappetizing). The real icing on the cake was when we ordered dessert and a plate was brought over to me with what must have been 3 chocolate-covered rabbit turds (they were that small) with "Happy Birthday" frozen and encrusted on the plate. Reused? 1 star for the server, who was young and held a professional, personal demeanor. Never again.

Been to The Spiced Pear? Share your experiences!