“great”
Review of The Spiced Pear

The Spiced Pear
Reserve with OpenTable
The Spiced Pear is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 234 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cliff Avenue
Description: The Spiced Pear’s primary dining room features an open-air kitchen, grand fireplace, and views of the Atlantic Ocean and Easton’s Beach. Well known for its signature ‘New England Tasting Menu’, the restaurant features a symphony of six or nine courses of local New England fare each night in addition to an a la carte menu featuring Continental cuisine.
Mauritius
“great”
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Had lunch in june with my wife.
Oysters perfect
lobster bisque excellent
Chardonnay great
GQ Burger surprising
The view is incredible and its worth going just for that.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Will come here again.

Boston, MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best in Newport!”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Absolutely the best food, service and view in town.

I had the lobster it was the best cooked lobster that I have ever had! The service was the best in town I loved our waiter I wish that I could remember his name, a dark haired gentleman working Monday July 28th dinner. We had the little gourmet chocolates for desert with coffee and they were excellent! This is the only place that was a true gem in Newport! I would go back in a minute I wish that I had eaten here twice and skipped Castle Hill which is not worth your trip. Hats off to the Chef clearly the best in Newport at any price.

“Lacking in basic Hospitality”
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Don't bother going! I had read great things about this place and really wanted to go. I was in Newport for a ladies getaway and convinced everyone to give it a try. I thought I would check it out for an anniversary weekend with my husband, because the website was so impressive. The only person who had any manners was the car valet (who was really nice). The hostess was just plain rude from the moment we set foot in the place. Their website specifically said 'no jeans' so we had gone back to our hotel to change....guess what? almost everyone else had jeans on. The food wasn't worth the price or the accolades. TWO of our Kobe Beef burgers came cold, one had actual ice crystals in the center. We sent them back to be heated and one of them returned, in a new bun, but with the old bun still stuck to the bottom of it. They offered us 2 free desserts (for 6 people) because of the long wait for the Kobe to be re-heated, but then charged us for them on the bill. Unbelievable...I can only imagine what it would be like to stay here (because I won't be)! I agree with another reviewer who said go to Castle Hill instead!

3 Thank oafaward
Keith-Chanler, Food and Beverage Manager at The Spiced Pear, responded to this review, May 6, 2008
Hello,

I have read your review and want to sincerely apologize to you for your unsatisfactory experience. Please note that the website reflects that the dress code is in place for dinner. It is troubling that you felt we were rude, and I will speak with the hostess on duty that day to see what could have possibly happened. I do remember your table, and that when I came by to say hello, the atmosphere around the table seemed to be jovial and cheery. Did I somehow present myself as being rude? Was your server rude? I would like to hear more about your perspective regarding this issue, because we love what we do and would hate to appear rude to any guest.

We typically only prepare our extra-thick kobe burgers to one specific temperature (MW) to prevent them from being served cold. My understanding is that the burgers were requested medium rare, and if so, it is our fault that we attempted to honor that request. We should have known what would happen; that we would have to re-heat the burgers and ultimately create a situation where you had to wait longer. This is why I offered desserts to those who had to wait. Regarding the desserts, I have your check in front of me and the desserts appear nowhere on your bill. I also have a check clearly billed to the hotel with the two desserts that your table enjoyed after lunch.

It is clear that we made mistakes in servicing your table, and I again want to apologize for that. At the time, I only knew of one error - that your burgers were not cooked long enough. Complimentary desserts should have been an adequate gesture to make amends for that mistake. If I had known about other elements of dissatisfaction, I would have done more to make you happy and I am still prepared to do so. However, we did nothing unethical in handling your bill.

Please contact me as soon as you are able. I hope for the opportunity to do what it takes to show you the experience you were originally looking for.
Newport, RI
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the money, DO NOT GET THE TASTING MENU!!!”
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I don't know if the night my husband and I visited the Spiced Pear was a fluke or what, but it was awful! I love tasting menues and was so excited about going to the Spiced Pear. The decor was lovely, and so was the view. The first two courses we had (ahi tuna spoons and scallops) were very nice, but from that point on, the meal went downhill. The wine pairings were not well matched, they clashed with the flavors of the courses and were all unimpressive vintages. What really ticked me off was that the chateaubriand we ordered was cold! The sauces served with it were warmer than the meat! And only one of the sauces was even passable. The other tasted worse than Nyquil. I have had chateaubriand in France, Italy and at several restaurants in the US. It has never been cold. I will NEVER go back to the Spiced Pear. For over $400 I would rather go to a restaurant with a good sommelier and a chef who pays attention to individual guests. I think part of the problem is the large dining room at the Spiced Pear. We went the weekend before Valentines Day and it was crowded. If you are looking for an elegant and excellent restaurant in Newport, try the Castle Hill Inn or White Horse Tavern instead.

1 Thank klsdlion
Keith-Chanler, Food & Beverage Manager at The Spiced Pear, responded to this review, April 4, 2008
I have tried to contact you via your Trip Advisor account, but will try this as well - it is surprising to say the least to hear that guests did not enjoy an eight course degustation with eight wine pairings, particularly one that includes our wildly popular chateaubriand. That said, there were issues with yours and I only wish that we had known of the problem at the time, as we would have done anything necessary to make it up to you and then some. We don't often make mistakes, but when we do, we correct them when given the opportunity.

We can be as personalized as you'd like to be. A reservation for the Ultimate Romance Dinner or at the Chef's Table allows you to discuss food preferences, and our nationally recognized wine list allows for flexibility pairing wines as well. Should you accept my invitation to return, I would love to discuss with you your wine preferences as well. Please contact me directly at (401) 619-3962 so that we may make amends and show you the fabulous experience that we have come to be known for.

Regards,

Keith Hill
Daleville, Alabama
“Lunch at the Spiced Pear”
Reviewed January 29, 2008

Lunch at the Spiced Pear on 1/25/08. Took a group there for my son's graduation from Navy OCS. What a wonderful experience. Everything was first class -- beautiful setting, ambiance, food, service. It is easy to see why the Spiced Pear is rated one of the best, if not the best, restaurant in Newport. I had been fortunate in my career as military officer to have dined at many outstanding restaurants around the globe and the Spiced Pear is right up there at the top.

Been to The Spiced Pear? Share your experiences!