“An elegant dinner with a breathtaking view”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Spiced Pear

The Spiced Pear
Reserve with OpenTable
The Spiced Pear is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cliff Avenue
Description: The Spiced Pear’s primary dining room features an open-air kitchen, grand fireplace, and views of the Atlantic Ocean and Easton’s Beach. Well known for its signature ‘New England Tasting Menu’, the restaurant features a symphony of six or nine courses of local New England fare each night in addition to an a la carte menu featuring Continental cuisine.
Providence, Rhode Island
“An elegant dinner with a breathtaking view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

The restaurant sits overlooking Newport beach and has an amazing menu. We had the short ribs which were fork tender and worth every calorie! If you are looking for a nice, quiet place for a romantic dinner this is a great spot.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank shoegal20

Millersville, MD
“The Best Lobster I Ever Ate.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went to the Spiced Pear and ordered the tomato salad for an appetizer and my husband ordered the escargot and sweetbread appetizer. The tomato salad was nice with lots of mixed greens over a piece of parmesan with tomatoes underneath. The escargot and sweetbreads were awesome also. A nice touch with the fiddleheads on the dish. For the main dish, we had a lobster with foie gras and my husband had tuna. The lobster was poached with a piece of foie gras over the top. Although I don't personally like foie gras, the lobster had to be the best lobster we ever had. I mean it was the BEST lobster we ever had. The service was impeccable and the wine list was wonderful. I wish I lived closer to this restaurant because I would come here once a month for the lobster. Food was exquisite. The kitchen is open and beautiful. What a great place~

3 Thank Susan B
Wakefield, Rhode Island
“A true gourmand experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Exceptional in every way right from the valet, the beauty of the dining room, the wait staff David and Fabio, the food and the hostess at the end of the evening speaking to us about the property.
The chef's tasting spoon was a small littleneck with a wonderful sauce. The littleneck melted in our mouth.
The lobster bisque as well as the parsnip soup, delicious.
The Lobster with foie gras was superb.
The wild boar chops which we never had before were a bit tough but perhaps that is just the usual texture of the meat and not having had it we had nothing to compare it to.
Banana souffle with peanut butter sauce was delicious as well.

Complements to the chef/chefs.
We will return.

1 Thank sylviafly
Mount Holly
“Wonderful setting in a magnificent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you do nothing else on your visit to the Spiced Pear, even if you're not in the mood for a big gourmet dinner, sit at the bar and try the famed GQ Burger. The Kobe beef decadence is delightful and goes down just wonderfully with a glass of Cabernet.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Robert J
Florida
“You deserve this indulgence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I grew up in Rhode Island but had never been to the Spiced Pear. My husband and I stopped by on Mother's day for a drink at the bar. Maurice could not have been a more accommodating bartender. My husband started with the spiced pear martini which was good, then moved to the french pear martini-as recommended by Maurice-this is to die for! I ordered a cabernet (which I had tasted before and loved). My first sip wasn't exactly up to my expectations- Maurice confirmed he had just opened the bottle the night before...but he quickly sensed I still wasn't pleased.....and opened a new bottle for me..wonderful! We subsequently brought a friend for lunch during the week-menu is limited, but enough choices to please all palates. Food was very good, and portion was quite adequate-view is just lovely!

If you have never walked the Cliff walk trail, it is a must. Beautiful ocean views which lead you behind several of the Newport mansions....Spiced Pear is a great way to begin....or end your journey to Newport....try it, you won't be disappointed. Salute!!

• Visited May 2013

Been to The Spiced Pear? Share your experiences!