“Don't Go There If You Are Disabled!!!”

22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 244 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: America
Description: Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.
Reviewed January 8, 2006

Where do I begin?! If you happen to have MS, Parkinson's, a brain tumor, neurological disorder or other muscle ailment, stay FAR away. They refused to serve us on the 29th of December and told us we were intoxicated!!!! We were NOT though I am a Stage 4 cancer patient with facial paralysis and I guess I slurred our reservation request! It was my third visit there that week and, thought the food is good, service is mediocre at best, prices are overinflated and their attitude and ego are far too big for their britches! I will NEVER go back there again. Their timing also stinks. It took us 25 minutes to get an order of oysters on the half shell at the bar the previous day. Our neighbor was done eating her soup before her friend's appetizer was ever served. The oysters were small and expensive at $28 per dozen. My sister's half-full Cosmopolitan was $8 or $9. The seasonal special menu at night is an excellent value at around $20 per dish. Regular menu prices are steep at $20-$40 for a steak, a la carte! Wine list is excellent but overpriced, as well. Servers are young and snooty and managers have big bad attitudes and little sense. Not a friendly place.

6  Thank Nancy D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed July 23, 2005

We were placed at a makeshift table in a high traffic location even though we had placed our reservation 6 weeks in advance. Our reservation was for 6 people at 8:30 PM. We were seated at 8:50 PM.

Service was incredibly slow all evening and we politely complained. When our entree finally arrived at 11:00 PM (almost 2 hours after we ordered) THE FOOD WAS COLD. We asked to see the manager for the second time and he acted insulted by our complaint.

At that point I expressed my EXTREME displeasure and he told us to leave.

Absolutely worst dining experience of my life.

10  Thank Felixp
Reviewed July 7, 2005

22 Bowens: a bad choice. Our hotel tried to steer us away from there due to previous guests bad comments, we went anyway. Should have listened. Both of our meals were below par, service was so bad I wrote a comment card on the horrible waiter. The table next to us got up and left in the middle of their dinner due to their dissatisfaction with the food and the same waiter we had. Stay away, there are too many other places to go.

7  Thank TravelWell
Reviewed June 9, 2005

I loved the location it was very relaxing to sit outside and look at the boats.
We ordered lobster dinners, which were delicious. We throughly enjoyed the experience.

1  Thank apples47
A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed May 28, 2005

Did not feel that it lived up to its reputation. Our waitress was very nice but the other staff honestly dumped the food down on the table with a grunt. Similary, the presentation of the food was artless, particularly considering the high prices: the food was fine but just not worth the price tag. We had a meal at the Castle Hill Inn the previous evening which cost less and was considerably more tasty and sophisticated. One pays for provenance of ingredient in steak houses, but this should be matched by the expertise in the kitchen and grace in the wait staff.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to 22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille? Share your experiences!