“Bring a winter coat, and a lot of time”

22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: America
Description: Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Almost all steak places make the mistake of overly charring the outside of a steak, obscuring the flavor of a very expensive piece of meat. 22 Bowen's is no different. The place is too dark, way way too cold (in February), and too slow. Clams on the halfshell were crystallized - nearly frozen. Side dish of sliced potatoes with olive oil were unrecognizable, both in appearance and taste. So many better places to try in Newport.

1  Thank EatOutLots
Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed October 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I dined at 22 Bowens on a Friday night. We made reservations but were advised that they were running about 15 mins behind schedule when we arrived. The place was packed but we were able to grab a drink at the bar while we waited.

The place is very nice, great wine list and friendly staff. I ordered the salmon and my boyfriend ordered filet mignon and stuffed lobster. His dinner was better than mine. I am not much of a steak eater and I never eat lobster but I tried some of his food and it was delicious. The filet was cooked just right and the lobster was delicious...melted in my mouth. I tried tried and tried so more.

Overall a great dining experience and will return!!

1  Thank newtravels16
Reviewed October 25, 2008

We went to 22 Bowens to celebrate our 20th anniversary with two good friends.
We were seated right away on the second floor at a window looking out at the wharf. It was hot as Hades on the second floor. The air conditioning was turned on and it improved but after another guest in a light summer dress in mid-October complained about the cold, it was turned off and we sweated through the rest of the meal, though the waitress tried to help by opening the windows next to us. OH WELL.
As for the meal: I don’t recall the appetizers but we did have the tomato and fresh mozzarella salad and that was tasty if unmemorable.
I also had the lobster bisque. It was very good. The bisque was tasty without being heavy and clay like as some bisque can be. It also had some lumps of lobster meat and that was nice.
Three of us had the baked stuffed lobster. It was excellent. The stuffing had large chunks of scallop, crab and shrimp in the stuffing. The lobster itself was well prepared and succulent.
Our sides were spinach sautéed in garlic and macaroni and cheese. Neither was anything special. The spinach was over cooked and the macaroni and cheese could have come from any diner in America. Fortunately the main dish left us so stuffed that the side dishes were of little consequence.
The service was good, friendly and knowledgeable but our enjoyment of the evening was tempered by the heat in the upstairs dining room. It doesn’t seem to me that it should be so difficult to maintain a constant 70 degrees in a dining room in mid-October given modern climate control.
The wine list is extensive and expensive. We had a nice King Estate Pinot Gris from Oregon that was a nice surprise. It was dry with nice notes of apple and pear.
All in all the meal was fine and the service solid. At the price (with tip approx. $100 per person) however, the service should have been exceptional and the food extraordinary. They were not.

1  Thank Spiceumup
Reviewed October 8, 2008

My wife and I ate here on a recent Friday night. Everything from the service to the appetizers to the entrees was top notch. This restaurant is ideal for special occasions or those not hesistant to drop good money on dinner. My wife's Filet and my Delmonico were cooked to perfection. Overall, a great restaurant experience.

Reviewed September 1, 2008

Food was decent, but kind of overpriced.

Been to 22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille? Share your experiences!