“Way overpriced”

22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: America
Description: Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

For being right on he docks in Newport I expected a lot more from this place. It was packed on a weekday night early in the season, we had a reservation and were seated right away. The standards for attire were NOT enforced by any means which is surprising for Newport and very disappointing. Our server was nice. Now, the food was very disappointing. Our appetizers were cold and pretty bland. My boyfriend order the kobe beef which was overcooked and he wasn't convinced it was kobe beef at all (and he's had it a number of times) I order a baked stuffed lobster which I was told comes as a 2lb lobster and it was okay at best. Halfway through our meal I was informed that I only got a 1 1/4 lb lobster by mistake and our bill was corrected. For spending almost $400 I would have expected MUCH better quality food. We definitely won't be going back.

rirestaurants, Guest Relations Manager at 22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Hi Ashlyn,

Thanks for dining with us and taking the time to share this feedback. On behalf of the 22 Bowen's team, my apologies that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. At 22 Bowen's, we want to always offer our guests top notch service with incredible food to match. I hope that you will choose to dine with us again the next time you are in town. I am sure that we will exceed your expectations and you will enjoy a stellar experience with us including great food and great service. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrea Greenberg
Customer Loyalty Concierge
22 Bowen's
401.619.7181

Write a ReviewReviews (1,361)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

First off, the food and service were quite good; no complaints. Still, given the restaurant's ownership, I expected more; I wanted special. The tables were crammed closely together. Also, the service wasn't as knowledgeable as, say, a high-end chain like Burton's (my favorite place for Steak). The night we were there, there were a number of large groups of mostly men and, I think, that is their target audience (i.e. not me). We had a pre-dinner cocktail at the bar and it was fabulous. The bartender was friendly and made great recommendations on some of their unique, creative cocktails.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

That's what my husband said about the special he ordered which was accompanied by a lobster risotto. 22 Bowen's is pricey but was the best dinner we had in Newport. It was packed but we were able to be seated outside on a beautiful night and enjoy people watching on this popular wharf.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were in Newport for a few days and chose 22 Bowens because of its TripAdvisor rating. The food was great, but our server was truly excellent and made our experience really memorable.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We sat at the outside bar for several hours and thoroughly enjoyed anyone and everyone who joined us for drinks and conversation. A great spot to kill an afternoon.

Been to 22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille? Share your experiences!