“This WAS a great restaurant”

22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: America
Description: Located amidst bustling Bowen’s Wharf in the heart of downtown Newport, 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grille is a world-class steakhouse serving USDA Prime beef, New England's finest seafood, and is complemented by an award-winning wine list. We look forward to having you experience one of Newport’s best.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We chose 22 Bowens to celebrate my fiancés birthday because of all of our past great experiences over the years in this once great restaurant. Unfortunately on our most recent visit we were extremely disappointed with the food. The waitstaff fortunately did a great job as always and this review is in no way their fault, in fact they were apologetic and sympathized with our awful experience. Upon arrival we were seated promptly at an outdoor table as requested and our drinks and salads were served promptly. The first problem came after we ordered our meals and they did not arrive for and hour and fifteen minutes (not an exaggeration). We were not the only people experiencing this as another couple at a table next to us had the same problem. The waitress kept promising the meal was coming and we kept waiting and waiting. Finally when the meal finally arrived it was prepared not even close to as we ordered it. I ordered my $68 delmonico special medium rare and it was served medium well and burnt on the outside. Her $40 Filet Mignon was ordered medium and served beyond well done and also burnt on the outside to the point that it was not edible. We ordered shared sides of brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes as the steaks were al a carte. The potatoes were fine but the brussel sprouts were not cooked enough and actually raw in the middle. We complained to our waitress and she did offer to take back the meals but after waiting for an hour and fifteen min for the first round I had no interest in waiting for round two as we did not want to spend our entire night there. The waitress credited us single round of drinks that was $35 and provided a free sorbet dessert for her birthday but that was not enough to make up for such a horrible experience at what was a high end restaurant. We were never visited by any manager after our complaints and the only apologies were from the waitress and the girl clearing tables. We were told that the chef had recently quit but that is no excuse as there is more than one experienced person in any kitchen. We believed that was a lie anyway as we saw the same executive chef we had met a year ago in the restaurant when we arrived for this visit. This restaurant is a black eye for the Newport Restaurant Group and is serving food of the quality that you might expect from a $50 dinner but when you are spending $200-$300 for dinner you expect perfection and this restaurant does not seem interested in providing this anymore and nobody seems to care either.

rirestaurants, General Manager at 22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Greetings,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent dining experience at 22 Bowen’s. I am disappointed to read about your visit, what you have described is not up to the 22 Bowen’s standard. On behalf of the entire 22 Bowen’s team, I want to apologize for the execution of your steaks. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be addressed with our culinary team. Your comments are instrumental in helping us improve the guest experience. I do hope you will join us again, I am confident that your next dining experience with us will be a fantastic one! I would appreciate the opportunity to ensure that the next time you dine with us that we do everything we can to exceed your dining expectations. To that end, please contact me directly when you would like to join us and I would be happy to make reservations for you.

Best regards,

Kim Wells
401.841.8884

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great grilled scallops- and huge shrimp! (is that an oxymoron? Great service. Nice overall menu...Oh, the desserts are awesome too.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Been here several times both for lunch and dinner. It is a little pricey but the food has always been consistently good. Past time had some new dishes in the menu which were great. This past time had the clam chowder which is a twist in normal clam chowder has a hint of bacon which was very good. Had the Atlantic Salmon which was phenomenal. M wife had lobster roll which had a generous portion of lobster. Overall great dining experience. The icing on the cake is the atmosphere great views overlooking the wharf great for people watching and coming and going of sight seeing boats. Definitely would recommend for a special treat or splurge haven't had a bad meal yet.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had lunch on the patio Memorial Day. After a short wait to be seated, our waiter came by and said "ready?". Not hi, how are you, something to drink, just "Ready?" We replied that we would like to order a few drinks and have a few minutes with the menu as we had been seated less than a minute. When he returned with our drinks we then ordered, chowder to share, then seared feta for me and Iberian ham and cheese for my husband. The sandwiches were great, but the chowder never came. Our waiter wasn't too concerned about it but did offer to take it off the check, gee thanks. I would definitely go again for lunch but would be hesitant to spend on what would be an expensive dinner with what was really indifferent service. Outside of the hostess, everything service wise was really so/so, we waited a while for drinks, we covered the waiter already and a manager stood next to us for several minutes without ever acknowledging us.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is an excellent stop for excellent quality steak and sea food. My wife and I had grass fed rib eyes cooked to perfection. My daughters had the salmon and the duck both cooked to perfection. Service could have been better and I could give it an overall excellent rating but I reserve my excellent ratings for the truly all around excellent. This was my final stop of a four day newport trip and 22 was recommended by a friend who knows the area. Overall, service is lacking in this town but 22 comes close. $250 for a family of 4 with drinks was in my opinion a good value.

Been to 22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grille? Share your experiences!