“Others rave...I'd never return!”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Pearl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stopped by Black Pearl Restaurant in Newport, RI on our way home from summer vacation. One of our family members rave about this place, and the food, so we thought we'd give it a try.
The wait time was surprisingly short, since we didn't have a reservation - nice start. However, while we were waiting for our beverages, we observed a wait staff clearing and setting a new table beside us. She put the dirty dish bin on the seat and filled it with the dirty plates and items from the table...took it away. The same restaurant staff member returned with new silverware, plates and cloth napkins. She placed the clean items on the seat, while she took the white table cloth that was already on the table from the previous guest, and turned it upside down! She then took the "clean" tableware and arranged them on the flipped table cloth! YUK! The wait staff member walked away and shortly after, new diners were sitting beside us :/
That should have been my warning, but I stayed..MISTAKE!! We ordered chowder, grilled chicken salad and burgers for the kids. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal and we left. On the drive back to NY, after about an hour after eating, I NEEDED to stop because my stomach was feeling funny. Dear Lord... I was in the rest stop for over 40 minutes... hot flashes, stomach cramps, sweats/chills... couldn't get off the toilet (sorry!!). I almost requested my family to call for an ambulance! FINALLY, although weak, I was able to crawl back into the car... couldn't drive though. Once again, a little more than an hour had passed...thankfully, we were back in our hometown, and I ran inside to my bathroom... and sadly, there I stayed for the next 20 minutes. This time, vomit was included in the illness. SO sad for me! Weak and exhausted, I crawled into bed (after a quick shower, of course) and there I remained until the next morning. But not before one more "ill" episode :(
Encouraged by the family member who spoke so highly of Black Pearl in Newport, RI, I called the restaurant to let them know of my horrible experience after eating their food. My point was so they can check their salad and chicken, since those were the only items I ingested and others didn't... I got very sick.
The manager was not willing to take any responsibility for my dining experience... he wouldn't even accept that MAYBE it was their food. Again, my only point was to save another diner from pain.
I called the RI Dept of Health, but they didn't answer the phone and left an almost inaudible message for me about three days later. By that time, anyone else that would have been fed the food I was given, already had eaten it... so, I decided not to bother.
I certainly would NEVER eat at that restaurant again.
Shame on you Black Pearl in Newport, RI!
Handle your food with better care, and teach your staff members proper restaurant hygiene!

4  Thank LuvTTown

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Every New England town should have a place like this! Comfortable and cozy with fresh, well-prepared food. Everything from chowder to Reuben sandwiches. Efficient, pleasant and flexible staff. In the summer it's a treat to sit outside on the wharf with some cocktails, chowder and a burger. Your trip to Newport is not complete without a stop at the Black Pearl!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We always eat here on our visits to Newport. THe drinks are great and the food is good--we are usually there for just a burger and beers so cannot comment much on the upper-end food but the burger is always decent and the mussels are excellent. The most attractive part of it for us is the "argh, Matey" feeling you get from walking in there on a cold day to meet with some captain to see about chasing a white whale.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We eat lunch here every time we get to towm . The New England clam chowder is the best . You can also bring home cans of the soup as well.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I were in Newport ten years ago, and I have dreamed about coming back for the chowder here. Went here for lunch and the chowder is just as amazing as I remember. It's simple and delicious. My brother-in-law loved his fish sandwich and the chocolate mousse that was on the Restaurant Week menu.