We stopped by Black Pearl Restaurant in Newport, RI on our way home from summer vacation. One of our family members rave about this place, and the food, so we thought we'd give it a try.
The wait time was surprisingly short, since we didn't have a reservation - nice start. However, while we were waiting for our beverages, we observed a wait staff clearing and setting a new table beside us. She put the dirty dish bin on the seat and filled it with the dirty plates and items from the table...took it away. The same restaurant staff member returned with new silverware, plates and cloth napkins. She placed the clean items on the seat, while she took the white table cloth that was already on the table from the previous guest, and turned it upside down! She then took the "clean" tableware and arranged them on the flipped table cloth! YUK! The wait staff member walked away and shortly after, new diners were sitting beside us :/
That should have been my warning, but I stayed..MISTAKE!! We ordered chowder, grilled chicken salad and burgers for the kids. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal and we left. On the drive back to NY, after about an hour after eating, I NEEDED to stop because my stomach was feeling funny. Dear Lord... I was in the rest stop for over 40 minutes... hot flashes, stomach cramps, sweats/chills... couldn't get off the toilet (sorry!!). I almost requested my family to call for an ambulance! FINALLY, although weak, I was able to crawl back into the car... couldn't drive though. Once again, a little more than an hour had passed...thankfully, we were back in our hometown, and I ran inside to my bathroom... and sadly, there I stayed for the next 20 minutes. This time, vomit was included in the illness. SO sad for me! Weak and exhausted, I crawled into bed (after a quick shower, of course) and there I remained until the next morning. But not before one more "ill" episode :(
Encouraged by the family member who spoke so highly of Black Pearl in Newport, RI, I called the restaurant to let them know of my horrible experience after eating their food. My point was so they can check their salad and chicken, since those were the only items I ingested and others didn't... I got very sick.
The manager was not willing to take any responsibility for my dining experience... he wouldn't even accept that MAYBE it was their food. Again, my only point was to save another diner from pain.
I called the RI Dept of Health, but they didn't answer the phone and left an almost inaudible message for me about three days later. By that time, anyone else that would have been fed the food I was given, already had eaten it... so, I decided not to bother.
I certainly would NEVER eat at that restaurant again.
Shame on you Black Pearl in Newport, RI!
Handle your food with better care, and teach your staff members proper restaurant hygiene!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.