“went here just for the chowder!”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Pearl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A local recommended Black Pearl when I asked about a place for good clam chowder, and I am glad that I followed her suggestion! I also ordered a Cuban sandwich to go and took it back to the condo where it served as 2 lunches for me. The sandwich was good--a little burnt on one side, but the meat was good. But the chowder--It was very rich, creamy, and filling! I even bought a can in an airport store so that I could take some home! My friend had lunch options waiting at the condo, so I was the only one who ordered here. We went for lunch when it wasn't very crowded and were seated inside immediately. Our waitress was friendly and took the time to talk with us about our trip. I would go here again just for the chowder!

There are newer reviews for Black Pearl

Reviewed July 16, 2013

There are three different dining areas in this old but well preserved restaurant. One is adjacent to the bar - a warm any friendly bar. The second area is outdoors across the alley way in front of the entry way. It was raining on and off so we didn't consider sitting out there on the wharf. Then there is the more formal dining room behind the bar room. Professional service with a menu that you would expect from a "Top Shelf" establishment. I had oysters on the half shell and for my entrée I chose the special twin Lobster tails topped with shrimp - after all I was celebrating my 24th wedding anniversary. I recommend the Black Pearl for any special occasion and for any reason.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were in town for the weekend and stopped at the Black Pearl for lunch. Very scenic location on Bannisters Wharf with indoor and outdoor seating. Wait staff was very friendly and efficient, with a busy tourist day going on. My wife had the clam chowder and loved it so much she hated to see the bowl empty! I had a delicious lobster salad sandwich that was full of large chunks of tender sweet lobster. Highly recommend that you try the Black Pearl.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We waited an hour at the bar before being seated. The waitress was not nice, friendly or helpful. The fish special was flavorless. I would skip this place. There are many other restaurants in newport.

1  Thank Jero52691
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We started out on the patio, but quickly realized that the menu out there is very limited (sandwiches, burgers, soups, and salads). We got a table inside and it was very nice. The waitress was great, and made excellent recommendations. I had the striped bass in a tomato reduction, and it was wonderful. The bread was good, too! Highly recommended. It is expensive, but not nearly as expensive as some of the tourist traps on the wharf.