“Excellent food, but pricey. Best chowder in Newport!!”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Pearl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 245 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The food is great here, but the price is a little high. This was expected though since it's on a popular wharf. My family got the clam chowder and I got the tomato soup, both were absolutely amazing! My dad and I split the tuna salad on a English muffin and it was really good too. We just stopped in for lunch while we were walking around downtown. We sat outside with a great view of the sail boats. There's also a little shack next door owned by the same company that you can just get chowder or a hot dog real quick.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Definitely a go to when you are in Newport. I'd be tempted to only eat there! The clam chowder is AMAZING and the ambience is, in my opinion, perfect for a weekend away in Newport.

1  Thank PG1018
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Good food at a very reasonable price, right on the wharf Casual yet elegant environment. Two thumbs up.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was our second visit to he Black Pearl. As previously we had visited Newport during the winter season we had dined inside. On this occasion we were able to eat on the outside deck on a particularly warm day. The atmosphere was good and the staff helpful. The Chowder was one of the best we had during our stay in Rhode Island. All food was fresh and well presented at a reasonable price.

Thank Gerard and Cole... C
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I ate here for dinner one night. It was very crowded and the seating is VERY crammed together. While trying to sit down at our table we were so close to the table next to us (which was so close to the table on the other side so there was no room to move) I almost took out our entire place setting by getting the overly long table cloth stuck on my pocket book. While trying to stand to leave I had the option of practically sticking my butt in our adjoining diners faces or rubbing up on the food and plates left at our table (I close the latter and dusted myself off). The food was okay. I had the petit sirloin sandwhich which came a bit soggey because the onion roll is was on was not bulky enough to handle the juice of the meat and the heat of the sautaed mushrooms and onions on top of it. It was VERY loud and we found it hard to have a nice conversation with each other. The service was okay but not very interactive. They do have the Commador's room which is by reservation and seems a little nicer and much quieter and I believe has a different menu. We did not eat on this side of the restaurant. We might come back for lunch but do not recommend dinner during the busy season if you are trying to have a nice romantic night out.

1  Thank Nicole P