“Midweek in the Bar”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Pearl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 249 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went as I used to live there 30+ years ago and could never afford to take a date there then. So I took my wife of 27 years there. The food was mediocore at best. Service was good. Price was too high for what we got. We live on the seacoast in NH so we know to get seafood when traveling to seaside towns and what is generally in season, so we got seafood there. This place is going on it's reputation and location only.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,455)

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had lunch here in Dec. when it was cold and wet. Very atmospheric pub. Chowder was popular with our group and was excellent. The bar area is fun but we ate in a back room that was quieter and had more room for our group.
Would love to go back in warmer weather.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Black Pearl is in a great location. We went here for a late lunch and to try their NE Clam Chowder. We heard it was the best in town and it was. My wife and I both a cup of the chowder and shared the baked brie. Both of these items were great. The other things on the menu sounded great.

My con about this place were that the place was crowded and noisy. We were sat in the tavern part and our table was inches away from the next table so I felt that I had to talk quite to my wife so I wasn't bothering the couple next to me.
I ordered a draft beer and it was very small. Might have been an 8oz glass. I was disappointed about this.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The restaurant did not have a child's high chair and did not seem to be accommodating. Left after being seated for 10 minutes with no service.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Great location - delicous New England Clam Chowder! Perfect weather and great atmosphere for lunch! In the middle of shopping area -

Been to Black Pearl? Share your experiences!