“It was ok.”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Pearl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 244 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The menu was small and the food was average. I was told afterwards that you really only go here for the clam chowder, which I did not have.

There are newer reviews for Black Pearl

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Very cozy, ¨pack-them-in-there¨ type of atmosphere. It's Newport on a wharf so I get it.

I loved the black high-gloss walls and furniture and remember it from 15 years ago when I was there last.

We really enjoyed our steamed mussels in broth but found the clam chowder to be such a disappointment. We were surprised it was listed as also available for take-out and assumed it was worth ordering. Hard to pin-point the off flavor...slight husky, burnt after taste. Perhaps tourists and people who have never tasted N.E. Clam Chowder before wouldn't know the difference but, having grown-up on chowder, I knew it was off.

We also thought the waitress although very nice, was a little over-kill in the profuse about of dinner rolls she brought over twice. I dinner roll per person would have sufficed. They weren't even that special tasting to devour.

All in all we enjoyed the decor, although tight, the friendly mature service and the great-for-sharing mussel dish. However, would recommend going elsewhere next time.

1  Thank Katma_12
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The Black Pearl is a long, low building on one of Neport's wharves that was formerly used for storing masts. It is really two restaurants in one: the cozy pub section and the ultra-ellegant Commadore's Room. There's also an umbrella-shaded outdoor section during the summer. The location is superb and the food matches it no matter which section you choose.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Casual, on the waterfront, best clam chowder and consistently superb! As a local, and a former innkeeper in Newport, this is where guests can enjoy lunch, dinner, sit in the outside courtyard in the summer and have a great experience!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Black Pearl is always a fun setting on the wharf.
The food is always good and the sevice excellent.
My favorite is their clam chowder filled with tons of clams and herbs.
I always take a frozen tub home to enjoy later on a chilly night(s).

Been to Black Pearl? Share your experiences!